Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New DJI Pilot VR Advice

Odub

Join
Nov 18, 2017
Hey everyone,
Just purchased my first DJI product (spark obviously) pretty excited I went with the fly more package. I have both a Galaxy s8 and iPhone 6+. After reading through the forum I am going to use the 6+ strictly for flying because of some of the issues and better optimization for iOS using DJIGO4 and the S8 is my daily cell. I have a set of VR googles for the iPhone is Litchi the best to use for that type of flying just as a novelty every now and again? I am worried about the app crashing and the consequences of a fly away has that happened using this 3rd party app.
Sorry for the noob like questions but I am hooked on the forum and trying to learn as much as I can.

Litchi is pretty good for fpv flying.... I'm currently on the hunt for a mono headset for my S8+ so I can use the DJI Go4 app..... but currently do fly fpv with a $20 phone VR housing.

Ditto. I have an iphone SE and just bought a cheap set of goggles. Tried them out with Litchi flying in our very small living room with lots of caution. I was impress with the view through the goggles. I just hovered, spun around a few times. Moved right and left a little. Snapped a couple of pictures. Pretty good. I have a couple concerns for when I try it outside...again with caution.

Should I buy a cable and connect the RC controller to the phone using a cable or just use wifi as I did in the house.

2. The pilot can see a bird coming if it attacks from above.

I tried my goggles outside for the first time yesterday. I sat in a chair and flew with great caution with no observer. It works GREAT!! and is very impressive. First flight I poked around at 12' alt. in the field, just getting used to it. I observed that the program links your up and down head movement to the camera. When you look down, the camera moves down. 2nd flight, I ticked the option for "immersive" head movement. In this mode, the spark rotates left and right as you turn your head as well as up and down camera movement. I was not ready for this and had to land in less than a minute. To return to base, you have to turn your body completely around to get the spark to fly back. After landing, put it back in the standard mode then took off and flew up to 100 feet to look around. This was waaayyy cool. Throughout the whole experience, I felt the need for an observer because you cannot see all of your surroundings. A hawk could easily attack the drone from above and you would have not warning to evade. I fly without a cable and this allows some video glitching to occur. When it does, it really freaks you out because you suddenly feel a little lost. If that happens, just let go of the controls and wait until the image catches up. Hopefully, using a cable will fix this.

Reactions: Odub
just bought a cheap set of goggles. Tried them out with Litchi

I normally fly with a mini4 but I have a Samsung Galaxy s7 as my everyday phone.
I have the Samsung VR goggles as well.

I would like to fly FPV but haven't researched the subject much.

So it may be possible for me to fly FPV if I purchased the Litchi app?

I keep thinking about purchasing the DJI goggles but if there's a cheaper work around and same results?

I assume that the app allows you touch your screen (tablet) on the RC, if used?
Or are the buttons on the VR goggles functional to "touch" the screen?

I envision the mini4 attached to the RC for push button control and a video feed to the Samsung phone / goggles?

Or is there a conflict of interest between using two (different) devices at the same time?

Thanks for answering if you want too.

I have the Samsung VR goggles as well.

So it may be possible for me to fly FPV if I purchased the Litchi app?

I keep thinking about purchasing the DJI goggles but if there's a cheaper work around and same results?

I assume that the app allows you touch your screen (tablet) on the RC, if used?
Or are the buttons on the VR goggles functional to "touch" the screen?

I envision the mini4 attached to the RC for push button control and a video feed to the Samsung phone / goggles?

Or is there a conflict of interest between using two (different) devices at the same time?

Thanks for answering if you want too.

Buying Litchi is a cheap way to go FPV. That is why I bought it...for FPV flying. I really don't fully trust the program with the Spark yet but am experimenting. I've made 3 FPV flights so far....its raining raining so I have to wait. My goggles have NO functional buttons. My procedure goes like this. I start the RC controller, start Litchi, link the RC Wifi to my phone. Start the spark and wait for it to get GPS and Home Point. Push the FPV button on the Litchi App (upper right corner). Place phone into goggles and place goggles on my head. Now the only thing I can see it what the camera sees plus a few Important data points in print at the bottom of the view. Using the RC controller, I start the motors and take off. Proceed with caution. When the battery level is low, return to home and land.

The telemetry data includes: Battery Level, Number of Satelites, Altitude, Distance from home point. plus two other things I can't remember.

Once I get 120' up or away, the video starts glitching.... in normal flight that is no problem but with the goggles it is real scary. I'm hoping an OTG cable link between the phone and the RC will cure that. I ordered one.

There is NO point in hooking up your mini since you cannot see it anyway. No other commands are available when you use the goggles, you just fly RC using the controller and since you can't see it either, you fly by feel. Its cool.

I too would like to get the DJI goggles, but I think they are not fully Sparkable yet and that is a big pill to swallow in price. But you get a real screen, and probably some buttons.

Last edited:
For iphone, vr pro for spark/mavic/phantom is the cheapest way to use cardboard goggles. It works well.
The app itself is free and the goggle option costs 7 USD.

Since my last post on this subject I have made 6 or 8 more flights using goggles and Litchy. I still feel pretty twitchy using Litchy, but it does work. I keep the spark close to home most of the time. I started using a cable with it and that clears up some of the annoying little video glitches due to bad connection or whatever. I stay close enough to fly home on manual control and dead reconning.

Since my last post on this subject I have made 6 or 8 more flights using goggles and Litchy. I still feel pretty twitchy using Litchy, but it does work. I keep the spark close to home most of the time. I started using a cable with it and that clears up some of the annoying little video glitches due to bad connection or whatever. I stay close enough to fly home on manual control and dead reconning.
Thanks for the updates! You have given me the confidence to try it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit