Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New spark owner with "Gesture Control" Issue

Derek Matera

Join
Jul 15, 2018
Hey guys,

I already own a Mavic but got a spark for more quick flying and simple trips. I was very excited about the gesture controls because of the simplicity but they have been anything but that.

When i fly my drone, the "palm launch" and "palm landing" work perfectly. The issue is all the other commands (well mainly palm control because i haven't gotten that to work yet and ive been trying that the most)

The main issue seems to be having the drone lock onto my hand. When i put my palm up, the drone blinks yellow once but then blinks red. Sometimes it will blink yellow, then green, then red. SOMETIMES (mainly directly after one attempt) it doesn't react at all when i put my hand up; no blinking, no nothing. -- but never locks onto me and turns solid green. I have tried on 2 flights now in and low and full light, wearing different shirts, and from multiple distances - but its the exact same thing every time.

It is DJI factory refurbished and i hope its not defective and just something i'm doing.

Any help would be great.

Here is a link to my flight data if anyone is interested. Its pretty basic because it mainly stayed in one spot while i kept sticking my hand in its face for 11 mins... Jul 15th, 2018 07:21PM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.2.20 on Android | Total Mileage: 302 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

I presume that you have gesture mode enabled via the app on your phone. When you Palm takeoff or land the spark’s front sensor locks on to your face, the bottom sensor sees your hand, it requires both to understand the command. It doesn’t look at your shirt to land.
Glare can temporarily blind the sensor & it doesn’t see in low light. The more you contrast with the background the easier it will see.
My suggestion.
On a bright sunny day find a deserted spot in the shade, (not too dark, you want enough light to easily read a magazine). Bring a friend, turn Bluetooth off your phones, on your phone turn on the DJI app, get connection to the Spark, wait until it has GPS & is “Ready to Fly”, check gesture mode on, give your phone to your friend, your friends job is to relay messages to you from the spark, via your phone. It will say if you are too close or locked on. Then palm launch, hold your hand out in front of the Spark (like a “Stop” signal) fingers together! Move your hand slowly sideways & back, quickly pull your hand away leaving the spark hovering, then staring into the front sensor move slightly closer & raise your open palm from directly below the Spark. If the Spark begins to assend hold your hand still, keep staring, let it land.
I have used this method to introduce a few people to my spark “Tic Tac” with great success. It was the participants 1st ever drone experience.
Good luck, Good flying.

Before I bought my Spark, I watched a lot of videos which demonstrated the gesture mode. I cannot remember ever seeing one that said that you had to have the controller or mobile device active for using the gesture mode. That was a big selling point for me. I have tried to use it but I did so in the bright sunlight and it did not work well at all. Gesture mode is reported to be a hit or miss situation being that the lighting has to be right for sure and your movements need to be smooth and slow as well. Now I have seen others that recommend that a controller should be handy and linked to the Spark in case something goes wrong and that is a valid point. Here is a good example video that shows just what I am saying. And I do not see anyone near this guy with a controller or mobile device as well. Just my two cents worth.

If I didn’t want to have the controller, I would have my phone linked & in my pocket. Most people aways have their phone, so it shouldn’t be an inconvenience. If the Spark behaves erratically I have a means of landing it safely, without the hassle of running through the park like a looney screaming at a flying lump of plastic,”LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, YMCA!”. ; )

Good video Graywoulf. In all the Utube videos on gesture mode there seems to be a cameraman, zooming in & out. Possibly the cameraman has the spark remote.

You are right in that possibility but there again, I have never seen or heard any of the people doing the demos mention anything about using the controller or a mobile device. But it stands to reason that at least some precautions were or should have been in place. If you watch the official DJI Spark introduction video, you will also see a few shots showing the hand gesture mode being demonstrated without any other devices present. One video is called "DJI - Spark - Possibilities" which shows two different scenes using only gesture control. And then, there is this one. BTW, both videos are made by DJI officially. This second video is a DJI Spark tutorial. The guy doing the tutorial says specifically that "controllers and phones are no longer needed to fly". That pretty much sums it up for me but I still agree that a backup or failsafe plan is a good idea.

I had not seen the tutorial video you posted, Greywoulf. It does recommend a backup connection.
The “Official Introduction Video” shows the spark being used in so many ways that are illegal in Australia. Flying directly over people, flying over a populated beach, flying too close to residential buildings, flying in a sports arena during a sports event. There are 2 scenes that are not illegal, a selfie in a nature setting, (benefit of doubt that it’s not a national park) & the group photo in a family home (try flying your spark inside, easy to do but noisy) & the guy with the normal camera is so surprised when the spark sneaks up next to him. That dude is deaf!

I just watched that video again... twice. Nowhere in that video is there a recommendation for a backup connection. The only precaution mentioned is to use the prop guards. Understandably, yes there are rules and regulations to be observed... in any country. Common sense should prevail at all times as well. I would not even consider flying my Spark at a family gathering unless I first got everyones permission and that they were fully aware of the drone at all times. Using gesture mode indoors is not a good idea unless you are in a very large room. There again, with everyone being aware of it. Yeah, I got a chuckle out of the guy that looked so surprised to see the Spark right next to his head too. Definitely he is deaf.

I have tested all gestures, and first of all, I noticed that there must be a lot of light for them to succeed.

Also, the gesture for going up in tracking mode, is very difficult to succeed.

As mentioned above, make sure, you have your RC connected all the time, because it is very easy to have a non responsive drone, after a gesture.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Or in my case, a compass error with no indications, leading to a fly away and crash. All with no way to control it.

All points made are valid and noted. My job is done here.

I just watched that video again... twice. Nowhere in that video is there a recommendation for a backup connection. The only precaution mentioned is to use the prop guards. Understandably, yes there are rules and regulations to be observed... in any country. Common sense should prevail at all times as well. I would not even consider flying my Spark at a family gathering unless I first got everyones permission and that they were fully aware of the drone at all times. Using gesture mode indoors is not a good idea unless you are in a very large room. There again, with everyone being aware of it. Yeah, I got a chuckle out of the guy that looked so surprised to see the Spark right next to his head too. Definitely he is deaf.

About 55 seconds into the video, in the middle of the sales pitch. “We do recommend a connection with phone or controller”. It is squeezed in like the fine print on a contract. DJI wants everyone to think Gesture Control is flawless at least until everyone has bought a spark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers