Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Old Drone Pilot, New Spark Owner

slothead

Join
Nov 30, 2017
I've had (and still have) a number of Phantoms (1, 2V+, 4Pro) but fell in love with the size of the Spark so I had to have one! Unfortunately now was not the time to expect a quick delivery. I was expecting it on Tuesday but it still hasn't arrive, and I'll be lucky to get it tomorrow (not that there is any urgency - I'm just anxious).

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: slothead
Thanks msinger. Any idea why this set of forums was segregated from the PhantomPilots forums (that include the Mavic et al)? I was surprised that SparkPilots wouldn't recognized my PhantomPilots name and password, but that's ok - just curious.

All of the pilots forums have separate logins. That's just how the owners decided to set them up.

Welcome to the club! The Spark is a fun little drone. As long as you understand its limitations, it will surprise you again and again.

Welcome to the Spark Pilots family! Fly safe and have fun!

Did you get the RC? I originally purchase mine without and found within a few flights I really wanted the RC and bought it too. It's just so much easier to fly with the RC.

Welcome to the club! I had the P1 too, and much prefer the Spark. So much more practical when it comes to taking it out and about. Hope you enjoy yours!

Did you get the RC? I originally purchase mine without and found within a few flights I really wanted the RC and bought it too. It's just so much easier to fly with the RC.
I was just about to post that question to the forum Aerial-pixel! I just got mine (it's charging as i write this), and have watched a few YouTubes, and was going to ask ya'll if you thought it was worth the additional investment. I've got the RC and another battery in a wish list right now and may bush the button before the day is done. Regardless, I think I got the best deal since I got my Spark for $350 and the RC is available for $120 (and a battery for $47), so all told I would be spending $517 and I think that beats any other deal out there.

The discussion my head is having with itself is - Do I need the extra range? Isn't that the only advantage of the RC? I don't think I need long range with the Spark since I have it with my P2V+ and my P4 Pro.

I was just about to post that question to the forum Aerial-pixel! I just got mine (it's charging as i write this), and have watched a few YouTubes, and was going to ask ya'll if you thought it was worth the additional investment. I've got the RC and another battery in a wish list right now and may bush the button before the day is done. Regardless, I think I got the best deal since I got my Spark for $350 and the RC is available for $120 (and a battery for $47), so all told I would be spending $517 and I think that beats any other deal out there.

The discussion my head is having with itself is - Do I need the extra range? Isn't that the only advantage of the RC? I don't think I need long range with the Spark since I have it with my P2V+ and my P4 Pro.
I've found the flying with on-screen controls is just awkward for me, I like the feel of the sticks under my thumbs. Also starting / stopping recording, capturing photos is easier with an RC. You also have the full 30mph advantage of sport mode with the RC too.

The sport mode isn't available with the phone/tablet?
No it isn't. IMHO it would be dangerous if they did offer it, you don't have the precision on-screen that you do with the RC sticks.

No it isn't. IMHO it would be dangerous if they did offer it, you don't have the precision on-screen that you do with the RC sticks.
You're probably right, although using a 12.9" iPad Pro, I can't imagine how any on-screen precision could be any better with the joysticks. The biggest problem with that is the lack of responsiveness in my opinion - but I don't really know that the joysticks are any less responsive than they have always been since I don't have one. It's probably worth the investment just to learn about them and their capabilities. The issue I will have is that the RC seriously limits the use of larger screens since the larger screen obstruct the view of the sticks and switches.

I think I'll go for it (the RC controller) and a couple batteries just to see how well they work and send the controller back if I'm not pleased.

Thanks for your inputs A-P.

You're probably right, although using a 12.9" iPad Pro, I can't imagine how any on-screen precision could be any better with the joysticks. The biggest problem with that is the lack of responsiveness in my opinion - but I don't really know that the joysticks are any less responsive than they have always been since I don't have one. It's probably worth the investment just to learn about them and their capabilities. The issue I will have is that the RC seriously limits the use of larger screens since the larger screen obstruct the view of the sticks and switches.

I think I'll go for it (the RC controller) and a couple batteries just to see how well they work and send the controller back if I'm not pleased.

Thanks for your inputs A-P.
I use an iPad with my Spark and my Mavic not seeing the sticks isn't a big deal to me.

the best drone/ camera/ fun toy/ is the one you have with you.
keep the spark with you all the time in a spark carry bag.
you will be surprised how often you fire it up.....if its not with you..the moments gone.
in a hurry?
grab your keys...grab your spark......

Reactions: Irishjew
I’m a newbie to the Spark too. Have had couple Phantoms, got the Inspire 1 and Mavic now, and thought this would be fun too. Got mine with the Kohl’s deal on Black Friday and $120 in Kohl’s Cash. Just got mine in mail yesterday and can’t wait to get it flying.

from the original heading of this thread..
I would be....45 years r/c flying, 4 years drone flying, 3 months spark flying...love all disciplines.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast