Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

POLL : Ipad 9.7" (2017) or Mini 4 (2015)

Which one for the SPARK....my future DJI Products

• iPad Mini 4 (2015)

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • iPad 9.7 (2017)

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

AWood35

Join
Dec 20, 2017
So I need to purchase one of these after work in order to fly my Spark. I attempted to resurrect my old iPhone 5s and now its going 'haywire' with all sorts of issues. My phone is an LG Stylo (Android) slow phone that has about a 3 second lag on the video, updating issues with the DJI GO 4 app so I'm not going to send my drone in the air with that.

Before my 5s started acting up, iOS & the DJI app worked flawlessly; so now I'm at this point of buying one of Apples tablets. I understand that the ipad 9.7 has a FASTER processor, but is it really needed? I will have to purchase an additional mount for the controller ($20)...would like to hear your opinions on these 'dedicated tablet' options for the DJI Spark.

Target has a great deal on two sub-$300 tablets:
$299.99 - iPad mini 4 with 128GB
$249.99 - iPad 9.7 (2017) with 32GB

I've been using an iPad Mini on ALL my DJI platforms for quite some time and its been very stable. Though I just ordered a CS UB yesterday because I had a bunch of reward points.

aviscomi, I've searched previous posts and your's comes up a lot. I like that with the mini I'll be able to use the remote's clips and NOT have to travel with additional mounts.

I just wonder if its worth buying a $50 cheaper iPad 9.7" with faster processors?

aviscomi, I've searched previous posts and your's comes up a lot. I like that with the mini I'll be able to use the remote's clips and NOT have to travel with additional mounts.

I just wonder if its worth buying a $50 cheaper iPad 9.7" with faster processors?
2 things: First my iPad Mini is 100% dedicated to my DJI crap, I don't have any unneeded apps installed on it. 2nd, I don't think the 9.7 will fit in the OEM RC mount. So I think the overriding factor here is whether or not you want to purchase an additional RC mount to hold the 9.7

I have and use a Ipad Mini 4 with cellular and an Ipad Air 2. These are dedicated drone tablets. I have other Ipads that I've experimented with my Drones, but these two are strictly for drones.

I agree I find the Mini 4 excellent as I don't need any additionally mounts. I just wedge it in the arms and fly...

I do like the fact that I can use the mini with the RC as is. Do you suggest an anti-glare screen protector, hood, or etc?

I will be using as practically a dedicated monitor also.

I do like the fact that I can use the mini with the RC as is. Do you suggest an anti-glare screen protector, hood, or etc?

I will be using as practically a dedicated monitor also.
I never liked screen protectors IMO they tend to hinder the touch sensitivity. I do have a hood for help with sun glare and use it occasionally.

I have both iPad Mini 4 with LTE and iPad Pro 9.7 with LTE and I prefer the mini as it is much lighter and portable and the screen is plenty big for me. Mine is also dedicated for drone use though.

iPad Mini 4 with 128 GB, just because you can save footage to your device from DJi Go 4 App.

That's another POSITIVE I was just thinking about; cache video & an Archive of Spark footage.

I use a 9.7" iPad with a Pgytech tablet mount for spark RC, both the mini and the 9.7" will do the same job, just depends how big a screen you prefer...for me bigger is better.

That's another POSITIVE I was just thinking about; cache video & an Archive of Spark footage.

I bought the ipad 9.7 2017 last night to go with the DJI Go App. I like it better, it is lighter than my old ipad, and 32 gigs is enough because the cache maxes out at 16 Gigs anyway. I have a mount for the remote that the ipad fits nicely in also. Last but not least the screen is super bright so you can see clearly even on the most sunny days. I am buying a case from Amazon right now. This one has impact protection which the other do not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2PVTD7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a 9.7" iPad with a Pgytech tablet mount for spark RC, both the mini and the 9.7" will do the same job, just depends how big a screen you prefer...for me bigger is better.

I don't necessarry care about the extra SCREEN SIZE, but I do care that the 'technology' is +2 years ahead, cheaper $, and pushes me ahead of a possible shutdown of the usage of the mini4 (years of course)...but you get the idea.

I bought the ipad 9.7 2017 last night to go with the DJI Go App. I like it better, it is lighter than my old ipad, and 32 gigs is enough because the cache maxes out at 16 Gigs anyway. I have a mount for the remote that the ipad fits nicely in also. Last but not least the screen is super bright so you can see clearly even on the most sunny days. I am buying a case from Amazon right now. This one has impact protection which the other do not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2PVTD7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How much brighter?!!

I don't necessarry care about the extra SCREEN SIZE, but I do care that the 'technology' is +2 years ahead, cheaper $, and pushes me ahead of a possible shutdown of the usage of the mini4 (years of course)...but you get the idea.
Agreed...my 9.7" was $100 cheaper..

Currently there is a $50 spread in price (thus my dilemma).
The mini4 inside the controller mounts (without seems odd looking) and makes me kinda want to buy the 3rd party Tablet Mount anyways.
I don't see the 9.7" iPad listed on the 'Approved Devices' via DJI; only on other forums such as Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help ??!

Well, I picked up my....iPad mini 4. I think the 128GB storage, size, and years of confirmed reliability won me over.

Thanks for all that commented, and with all the PROS & CONS to both!

Put the Spark in the sky this evening and worked flawlessly! Some random pixilation every once in awhile but never lost signal (used in a field in the middle of a very well populated neighborhood). I even got a little RISKY (3rd day of flying since NEW) and flew it about 300' in the air....gives me the jitters!!!!

Reactions: RaspPiGuy
Best of flying to ya mate! I find my best photos come from 400' or above (for landscape). Take risks, and the rewards are usually worth it ;) Just don't take the one of getting a plane head on shot :)

I would have gone for the Ipad 2017 with the more powerful CPU, DJI Go 4 in the current versions are very cpu intensive so overtime I would expect the mini 4 will be outpaced

Last edited:
Reactions: AWood35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast