Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

POLL : Ipad 9.7" (2017) or Mini 4 (2015)

Which one for the SPARK....my future DJI Products

• iPad Mini 4 (2015)

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • iPad 9.7 (2017)

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters
Just to give my two cents. I went with the iPad mini 4 based on the tried and true responses that is all over the place. The larger tablet 9.7/2017 although enticing and less expensive would completely put me out of the portability range. The purpose of the mavic and spark purchases was to go as minimal and as small as possible. Having this big screen is nice but unfortunately ibwouldnt even know how to carry it with my spark if I was travelling with my spark.

Furthermore I don't know how long the iPad mini will last before it becomes sluggish and not useable but I figured it will be at least another 2 years. I can upgrade from there.

I know that the 9.7 / 2017 tablet has a beefier speck and will probably last a good 4 years but realistically from a use perspective. I need to go as portable as possible.

It fits but she is toight, here's a video showing the procedure (1min in):

Did you have to use a iPad with Cellular in order to get features like RTH to work? Or do you just fly without some features? Thanks in advance. I'm having an iPad 2 repaired and would like to try it, but it was difficult/expensive to find one with cellular interface (regardless of network).

Did you have to use a iPad with Cellular in order to get features like RTH to work? Or do you just fly without some features? Thanks in advance. I'm having an iPad 2 repaired and would like to try it, but it was difficult/expensive to find one with cellular interface (regardless of network).
No the RTH is based on your home point set with the controller. Cellular based iPad allows active tracking but it is a premium for one. :)

Using the iPad Air 2 with OTG,, great image and no issues.. :)
John, do you use a cellular or non-cellular model? If non-cellular, what features do not work. I've heard in order to get GPS I HAVE to have a Cellular model. I want to use the roving home feature, does the controller know how to do that on its own? If so I can get in for $100 refurbished, unless someone here wants to sell one. Thanks in advance for the info.

John, do you use a cellular or non-cellular model? If non-cellular, what features do not work. I've heard in order to get GPS I HAVE to have a Cellular model. I want to use the roving home feature, does the controller know how to do that on its own? If so I can get in for $100 refurbished, unless someone here wants to sell one. Thanks in advance for the info.
Hi limesqeezy,, I use a non cellular iPad and have no issues.. RTH, Active Track all work great and their are no known issues of something that does not work,, i.e., all telemetry data available..:)
OTG in use with Wi Fi and Blue Tooth selected off.. (not sure about the GPS statement!)

Thanks, John. I confirmed this with broken English with DJI Support today. I couldn't get through that I was looking for written/published guidance, the language barrier was too strong. But hey, it will save folks a bunch of money. Even the oldest Cellular iPads are in the three hundred dollar range. I bought a hardly-used Spark kit from a friend with a bunch of accessories, and talked him into including an iPad Mini Gen 1 with it (and it has Cellular, so I was OK either way).

Thanks for all the support here, for all of you who are participating. This is a great resource.

Yep! Some risks are necessary but stay legal and you’ll fly longer and richer. In the U.S. 400ft. Is the legal ht. Limits. Which is plenty high, where you cant even see the Spark hardly.⚡

I get the impression that folks are taking the FAA VLOS regulation as a "guideline", as in regularly exceeding it. I guess that might be fun, and I suppose there are shots that can't be gotten VLOS so flying with the camera is the only option (still not legal as far as I can tell). I wouldn't want to be the guy caught flying the Spark a mile or more away, like I've seen in some YouTube videos! With a $9 antenna booster, well over a mile!

Just to give my two cents. I went with the iPad mini 4 based on the tried and true responses that is all over the place. The larger tablet 9.7/2017 although enticing and less expensive would completely put me out of the portability range. The purpose of the mavic and spark purchases was to go as minimal and as small as possible. Having this big screen is nice but unfortunately ibwouldnt even know how to carry it with my spark if I was travelling with my spark.

Furthermore I don't know how long the iPad mini will last before it becomes sluggish and not useable but I figured it will be at least another 2 years. I can upgrade from there.

I know that the 9.7 / 2017 tablet has a beefier speck and will probably last a good 4 years but realistically from a use perspective. I need to go as portable as possible.
No reason for the iPad to become slow unless you're not exclusively using it for purpose. Loads of apps loaded... sure. And battery degradation, sure but unlikely to affect with 10 minute flight times per battery. Used to work for Apple as a manager, and still love the company, but I don't see a real advantage over the older product. That said, buying iPads helps my Apple stock, so go for it!

I get the impression that folks are taking the FAA VLOS regulation as a "guideline", as in regularly exceeding it. I guess that might be fun, and I suppose there are shots that can't be gotten VLOS so flying with the camera is the only option (still not legal as far as I can tell). I wouldn't want to be the guy caught flying the Spark a mile or more away, like I've seen in some YouTube videos! With a $9 antenna booster, well over a mile!
Yes, unfortunately. VLOS is nothing to take lightly. The fines imposed are steep for breaking the rules if caught. Drone pilots have enough against them already.
Oh and a device without cellular reception will only be missing the actual location on a REALTIME map. So if I had to buy a device I think I would invest in an ipad with cellular reception. A real time map really comes in handy. Right now I own the ipad mini 4 128mb.

I have to remind myself that this forum is INTERNATIONAL, not just US. Apologies to those not restricted by FAA rules and regulations.

No reason for the iPad to become slow unless you're not exclusively using it for purpose. Loads of apps loaded... sure. And battery degradation, sure but unlikely to affect with 10 minute flight times per battery. Used to work for Apple as a manager, and still love the company, but I don't see a real advantage over the older product. That said, buying iPads helps my Apple stock, so go for it!
I'm not worried about those items specifically but more on app support. At some point the iPad OS or hardware won't support the later versions of the software. Be it the Go App 4 and what not.

Battery degradation? You mean how Apple purposely degrade the iPhone / tablet as it gets older. :). Ok cheap shot. Seriously though I'm sure it will be awhile till things really becomes obsolete. Truthfully I still own the original 1st Gen iPad. Hardware/Battery wise it still works great!! Unfortunately not much apps I can use or at least what I use.

Well, I got lucky and gained an iPad Mini Gen 1 with Cellular capability from a good friend at a great price. I'll still charge and bring my iPhone as a backup, but the Mini "just" fits into the RC. Thought I was going to be flying the bigger form factor... I guess I have a MavMount 3 to send back. Darn. But I have to say, the Mini feels great in the controller. Now I'm dealing with screen visibility in sun... ISO sun shade recommendations!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast