Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

POLL : Ipad 9.7" (2017) or Mini 4 (2015)

Which one for the SPARK....my future DJI Products

• iPad Mini 4 (2015)

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • iPad 9.7 (2017)

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters
I would have gone for the Ipad 2017 with the more powerful CPU, DJI Go 4 in the current versions are very cpu intensive so overtime I would expect the mini 4 will be outpaced

I defiantly understand your side; but also, these two tablets are discontinued and are BOTH under $300 brand new.

I just wanted to get the more 'tested' model & the model that is on the (official) DJI Approved device list.

I defiantly understand your side; but also, these two tablets are discontinued and are BOTH under $300 brand new.

I just wanted to get the more 'tested' model & the model that is on the (official) DJI Approved device list.

The iPad 9.7 2017 that replaced the iPad Air 2 this year is definitely not discontinued. The performance is spectacular and I like seeing more on the screen it displays the compass and map whereas the phone cannot do both. Not sure where you heard about the discontinuation but it is not accurate, especially for an iPad less than a year old.

Did the mini fit OK in the Spark controller? Mine seems way too big to get in there!

Did the mini fit OK in the Spark controller? Mine seems way too big to get in there!

You just have to squash it in, make sure the jaws are as wide as the can go, put one corner in first then force the other corner in slowly, kind of pivoting it in.

The iPad 9.7 2017 that replaced the iPad Air 2 this year is definitely not discontinued. The performance is spectacular and I like seeing more on the screen it displays the compass and map whereas the phone cannot do both. Not sure where you heard about the discontinuation but it is not accurate, especially for an iPad less than a year old.

Beario, looks like your CORRECT. I re-Searched all GOOGLE that I could, didn't see any mention of 9.7 being discontinued. Believe I was researching all these possibilities yesterday and must have got something crossed.

I have the latest 9.7 inch IPad, and it’s great. I’ve never used it for my Spark though. For those using the larger iPad, what mounting system do you use to cone t it to the controller?

I have the latest 9.7 inch IPad, and it’s great. I’ve never used it for my Spark though. For those using the larger iPad, what mounting system do you use to cone t it to the controller?

The best (and most expensive) I've read is MavMount
DJI Mavic and Spark iPad Tablet Adapter Mount - MavMount

Other than that there are tons of ~$20 mounts available. DJI offers lots of PGYTECH gear, I would think the 'standard' is a little higher with them?
http://a.co/gGyjtR8

I personally was looking to get the PGYTECH mount 1st, see how I liked it for awhile, then upgrade to the MavMount once I show some promise with the Spark and future Drones...

Reactions: Lastrexking

I use the Mavmount, ballhead and AL plate handle the weight of the larger ipad better

I even use it for the Ipad Mini 4 instead of putting it in the jaws

Beario, looks like your CORRECT. I re-Searched all GOOGLE that I could, didn't see any mention of 9.7 being discontinued. Believe I was researching all these possibilities yesterday and must have got something crossed.

No worries just do not want anyone to think they are getting a discontinued product when they are getting the latest version for a really cheap price. I always want to go with the latest version hardware for Apple Devices. It is only a matter of time before DJI updates their support list. If you have not noticed, they are extremely slow with that too.

I am using the StarRoad Mount. Found it on Amazon for on $14.59. Has almost perfect ratings. I use it for both my large iPhone and iPad it works awesome and very durable. They sold out, but you can still order now the site says available on January 2nd:

https://www.amazon.com/StarRoad-Extender-Foldable-Controller-accessories/dp/B072XJP7H9

upload_2017-12-29_8-55-39.png

Oh and comes with a Lanyard and lanyard mount too so you can hang around your neck. Good for people like me that drop everything!

upload_2017-12-29_8-57-6.png

Last edited:
Oh and comes with a Lanyard and lanyard mount too so you can hang around your neck. Good for people like me that drop everything!

Yeah, gravity sucks;).

I have my life line attached to my Dirty J. Designs tablet holder.

Yeah, gravity sucks;).

I have my life line attached to my Dirty J. Designs tablet holder.

There are lots of mounts out there, but my primary principle is to have a good ratio of price to quality, especially when the wife needs a mount too for her Spark. So for me everything comes in 2 because she is equally excited about flying like I am. With that said, I would rather buy 2 high quality mounts for $14.59 each than buy one high quality mount for $35.

The beauty of the Mavmount is it keeps your remote "balanced" and weighted correctly especially when using a larger tablet.

Most mounts shifts the weight either too high or too low on the remote. Doesn't seem like a big deal when you are holding it for the first time or just checking it out. But start flying and after many minutes you notice that you are using "effort" or "muscles" to keep the remote in a position where you can see the display. Its not like it causes a cramp or its a huge weight but it takes away from using your concentration and "muscles" to fly the drone, a distraction if you will. The Mavmount allows you to "balance" the tablet and keep the weight balanced.

Simple test as Mavmount shows is to take any mount, put your tablet on it then set it on a table. If it tips over one way or another its not balanced. You can get it to balanced on the Mavmount. Since the Spark has such a short flight time it isn't a big deal. Start flying something like the Mavic and it just gets to be a PITA... Of course, "To each his own"....

Regarding the Mini 4 and fitment into the remote's arms. Its a good snug fit so that it doesn't fall out. I'd never say its too tight or you have to really stretch the arms. The remote was made to fit the IPad Mini. Its a good secure fit...

especially when the wife needs a mount too for her Spark.

Nothing wrong with saving money, just plugging the mount I use and responding to the neck lanyard in protecting the investment in your hands.

The mount I use is half the price of the Mav mount. Like yours is half the price of mine.

My wife and I share our Spark so we have some wiggle room in our budget to enjoy the sport.

Happy wife, happy life :).

Nothing wrong with saving money, just plugging the mount I use and responding to the neck lanyard in protecting the investment in your hands.

The mount I use is half the price of the Mav mount. Like yours is half the price of mine.

My wife and I share our Spark so we have some wiggle room in our budget to enjoy the sport.

Happy wife, happy life :).

Happy wife, happy life indeed:) Just trying to explain my situation as well. It is good that you and your wife can share. My wife and I can share most things, but in this situation it is difficult to share because she is a photographer and for some reason when I am flying she was always seeing a good shot. If we could share, I would be flying a Mavic but 2 Sparks work well for personal use. It is good enough for social media as well and we are now working together on some of her shoots and we can get even more content with 2 Sparks:)

Reactions: Spark 317
I just worry an iPad is more weight than I can be bothered with. I like to travel light.

...we can get even more content with 2 Sparks

Any problems with flying two at the same time, other than identifying yours from hers?

Any problems with flying two at the same time, other than identifying yours from hers?

We have not had any issues at all flying 2 Sparks at the same time. It's been the best thing flying together I've learned a lot of photography and what makes great shots and my wife is getting pretty good flying her Spark:) We started testing to see if we can do a chase plane view with the object tracking. The iPad is bigger and actually helps out a bit differentiating our Sparks while flying because you see 3 things at once. You see your camera view, the compass showing what direction you are going, and the map all on the screen at the same time, whereas the phone shows 2 things at once. Seeing all of that helps lots. Somehow the object tracking is easier because objects are bigger on the screen than on the phone. The only issue I am having now is DJI related. Their update leaves an error saying weak transmission signal when using the OTG cable. Downgrading does not fix it. I prefer using the cable to wifi, but they say its not supported.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast