Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark range on 5.8GHz better than 2.4GHz or OTG

Praf

Join
Jul 24, 2017
After latest firmware (01.00.0500) update & latest DJI Go 4 App update (4.1.5), I noticed that range seems to be improved. I decided to do a test from a multistory parking (to get a better VLOS) using OTG vs WIFI.

To my surprise, I got best results (1.2 miles / 2KM range & a perfect signal score of 100) on 5.8GHz WIFI as compared to similar flights I performed using OTG cable and switching manually to 2.4 GHz channel.

I was using my old iPhone 5S in airplane mode for all these flights (only wifi enabled for 1st & 3rd flight).

I am thinking that leaving frequency selection decision to Sparky for best results and ditching the OTG cable as well hereon.

See the results here:
1. Flight on 5.8 GHz WIFI: 2KM & Signal Score of 100

2. Flight using OTG with WIFI off: 1.6 KM, Signal Score 42.9

3. Flight with 2.4 GHz channel selected manually: 1.6 Km & Signal score 27.6

Excellent info...I too have ditched the otg, and stay on 5.8 wifi

That's good to know...convenient to fly cable free...how about the video lag though...people have reported less lag when using OTG.

That's good to know...convenient to fly cable free...how about the video lag though...people have reported less lag when using OTG.

Absolutely no lag in the video until I reach the 1.2 mile mark. Once I reached the max distance, the video froze for a couple of seconds and I got message 'Lost video connection' when the AC started RTH automatically. This was so smooth in 5.8GHz. In contrast, for other two flights, I experienced some lag in video, pixelated, b&w video before RTH began, also I saw 'RC connection lost' message in one of the later flights.
If you look into the notifications log, you will see there is just 2 sec loss of connection before RTH in first flight vs 11-12 sec data loss in later 2 flights.

I get video lag on 2nd battery. Not sure if AC is over heating, I have to give it 10 min break or my Galaxy S8+ is overheating. I always fly with lower FHD resolution not Quad HD but I do use AZ Screen recorder and turn off video cache in Go 4 app.

I love flying without cable one less thing to think about.

This is awesome info. I might try without OTG for a while.

I did notice though....
5.8ghz: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
OTG: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Lots of interference notifications?

2.4ghz: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Had basically none?
I wonder if you could control the Spark at these data points on 5.8 and OTG.... hard to tell when just in a straight line?

5.8ghz had the straightest line though, 2.4 and OTG seemed to wonder?

Also, precision landing on 5.8 and not others? just coincidence? (requires an object on ground to pinpoint, yeah?)

Hi all,
If possible when having discussions of this type could it be mentioned if people are flying under FCC or under CE power levels. Otherwise lt makes it difficult to judge.

This is awesome info. I might try without OTG for a while.

I did notice though....
5.8ghz: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
OTG: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Lots of interference notifications?

2.4ghz: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Had basically none?
I wonder if you could control the Spark at these data points on 5.8 and OTG.... hard to tell when just in a straight line?

5.8ghz had the straightest line though, 2.4 and OTG seemed to wonder?

Also, precision landing on 5.8 and not others? just coincidence? (requires an object on ground to pinpoint, yeah?)

Good catch about interference... I seem to get too many interference warning messages. Not that they seem to affect the control of AC but I have noticed these warnings in almost every single flight. Since the recent firmware and app update, they are a little less frequent I guess, e.g. when flying out, I didn't get these warnings in all 3 flights. Only while RTH I got all these warnings. I am going to check with DJI about these warnings popping up in almost every flight.
I have flown mostly in metro Atlanta and there are a lot of tall trees around in any park or open area. To get around that, I try to fly from multistory structures. But that causes a lot of interference with compass due to metal in these buildings. I had to do a palm launch for all 3 flights since my spark was throwing calibration error when trying to launch from concrete floor. That's why I just caught the spark midair while landing during last 2 flights.
If that building could cause interference, why it only appeared during return and not while flying out? Any experts there???

I get video lag on 2nd battery. Not sure if AC is over heating, I have to give it 10 min break or my Galaxy S8+ is overheating. I always fly with lower FHD resolution not Quad HD but I do use AZ Screen recorder and turn off video cache in Go 4 app.

I love flying without cable one less thing to think about.

I remember a few flights when my battery temperature reached 60 C and I was flying out in the sun, my iPhone 5S got too hot and the app was freezing by end of the flight. But I was able to get on to the 2nd flight almost immediately after swapping battery.
I think using a phone / device dedicated for RC helps keeping overheating under control.
I am surprised that even latest flagships like S8+ could not keep up with resource hogging DJI Go 4 app...:(

I am surprised that even latest flagships like S8+ could not keep up with resource hogging DJI Go 4 app...:(

I don't have this issue with my Inspire or Mavic so it could be Go 4.1.4 or Spark I'll do some more testing.

Important is also to have no active bluetooth device (phone, tablet, watch, ...) around you as it will affect the 2.4G reception (Spark-RC or RC-device).
BT is not affecting only in the case of 5.8G used for the link to the Spark and OTG cable used.

Important is also to have no active bluetooth device (phone, tablet, watch, ...) around you as it will affect the 2.4G reception (Spark-RC or RC-device).
BT is not affecting only in the case of 5.8G used for the link to the Spark and OTG cable used.

Is it ok to have them around but put them in airplane mode? Or better leave those at home?

I've been using OTG all this while but today I noticed the live feed on my OTG is terrible. It freezes every 1-2 seconds, then continues, then freezes again. The strange thing is, when I start recording video, the transmission becomes much smoother. Not sure if this is due to the recent DJI Go 4 upgrade to 4.1.5. I'm using an old Samsung Note 3 solely for flying purposes. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Is it ok to have them around but put them in airplane mode? Or better leave those at home?
Airplane mode will be fine IMO.

to be honest I've done a lot of testing and the only thing that should be turned off is BT. This includes BT watches and other devices.

When you Say turning off bt watch, do I need to turn it off even if BT is off on the watch?

just the BT function.. No need to power it down. Now I wouldn't wear it while doing a compass calibration.. This is a big no no!

Reactions: ebo974
Strange, I have an LG Stylo 3 phone and an LG Urbane watch which is Bluetooth. I have left Bluetooth on and had the watch on my wrist while doing compass calibrations and I've even had phone calls, text messages, and other notifications pop up on my phone and had zero issues. I live in a heavily congested Wi-Fi area so I do limit my flight distance but I can easily do a quarter to a half a mile without any lag or cutouts. I do use the OTG cable though. I've found it basically unflyable without it. Hell, when it's in close, I'll even respond to the texts. She's been solid as a rock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex