Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark vs Mavic Air

Kevin Kirby

Join
Jan 9, 2018
Hi everyone. I'm the proud owner of a Spark, and I love it!
So, my brother is turning 50 next week, and I want to get him a drone. But before I order a Spark, I wanted to ask if it would make sense to pay a little more, and get him the Mavic Air? I have read about a few of the differences, but would like to hear from someone who knows first hand. I'm not itching to spend more money, but if it's better than the Spark, is it worth the extra $300-$400?

Reactions: Sparkster
I have both and can tell you the Air is nice. Better video from smoother gimbal.
I am having a few issues, (No Crystalsky connectivity and cannot retrieve images without removing SDC), but realize it is a new product and the kinks will be ironed out.
This thing flies like a bat outta hell in sport mode! Haven't had any range issues or weak signal / disconnection problems.

Reactions: Kevin Kirby
Hi everyone. I'm the proud owner of a Spark, and I love it!
So, my brother is turning 50 next week, and I want to get him a drone. But before I order a Spark, I wanted to ask if it would make sense to pay a little more, and get him the Mavic Air? I have read about a few of the differences, but would like to hear from someone who knows first hand. I'm not itching to spend more money, but if it's better than the Spark, is it worth the extra $300-$400?

The Air is better but depending on what you will do with the drone it could be overkill. Sounds like this will be his first drone. Will he need or can he edit 4K footage? Any need or desire to use footage or pics for professional purposes? Is he technically inclined or a bit intimidated by tech?

I'm a pure hobbyist who uses the drone for family outings, vacations, casual events - nothing professional. Extended range and flight time are not a concern and I have no problem changing out a battery or two. I don't have a computer that can edit 4K footage. So, the Spark fulfills everything I need a drone to do and it is very portable.

The Mavic Air is a rather expensive starter drone. Might make more sense to buy him a Spark and "if" he enjoys it and sees the need to upgrade (better camera, longer flight time, longer range, etc) he can upgrade to whatever fulfills his needs.

I've got them both as well and it does come down to what your needs or wants are. I've said this before in other threads that while each of the DJI drones has some overlap, they do serve a different purpose. The Spark is a great travel companion. Its overall footprint is very small in your backpack. And as stated above image quality really only matters if you have a 4k TV or computer and can see the difference. Also Youtube or most streaming services I've seen don't support 4k so its down converted anyways.

For me, I only fly LOS, I don't use those intelligent flight modes and alot of the stuff I post up on Youtube. So my Spark does the majority of what I need. Even flight time isn't a big deal for me...

What I do find I like about the MA over the Spark is I don't have to play with the camera settings to get a good shot. I find the depth of field better on the MA too. But again, these are really only noticeable when you are trying to get that really good, stand-out, photo..

hello to all I would also like to express my thoughts on the issue of spark or air .. I spark and I'm happy .. I have a person who is willing to buy my spark but the problem that I have a lot of accessories 5 batteries, polarized filter, power smatree station, extra bag etc. .. I cover air then I have to add other accessories and the difference I have to put is 300 350 usd.but as someone of you has well said you make movies in 4k but if you do not have tv what you do that do not you see the difference? also I saw you tube on battery life and are only 17 minutes real minutes more than spark .. I expected at least 20 minutes real !!! then there is another question I live in Italy and as you already know with the wi-fi is limited with the spark after the change use fcc and reach the real 2 km .. while for air at the moment there is not this ... not at the moment I'm very undecided if I change .. I would like your thought

Reactions: Sparkster
hello to all I would also like to express my thoughts on the issue of spark or air .. I spark and I'm happy .. I have a person who is willing to buy my spark but the problem that I have a lot of accessories 5 batteries, polarized filter, power smatree station, extra bag etc. .. I cover air then I have to add other accessories and the difference I have to put is 300 350 usd.but as someone of you has well said you make movies in 4k but if you do not have tv what you do that do not you see the difference? also I saw you tube on battery life and are only 17 minutes real minutes more than spark .. I expected at least 20 minutes real !!! then there is another question I live in Italy and as you already know with the wi-fi is limited with the spark after the change use fcc and reach the real 2 km .. while for air at the moment there is not this ... not at the moment I'm very undecided if I change .. I would like your thought

Quite honestly, it seems that you are perfectly happy with the Spark. It is a great drone and if it’s meeting your needs then why change? I would recommend, that unless there is a feature in the Mavic Air that is a “must” have then I would keep the Spark another year and see what the Mavic Air 2 features.

Reactions: Sparkbart
yes williams your reasoning is right and wise I approve what you have said....

As Nathan states it sounds like the Spark fits your needs so why change or sell at a loss and buy all over again. Not to mention if you didn't buy the Fly-more combo accessories like even spare batteries may take a little while to find.

The Air is better but depending on what you will do with the drone it could be overkill. Sounds like this will be his first drone. Will he need or can he edit 4K footage? Any need or desire to use footage or pics for professional purposes? Is he technically inclined or a bit intimidated by tech?

I'm a pure hobbyist who uses the drone for family outings, vacations, casual events - nothing professional. Extended range and flight time are not a concern and I have no problem changing out a battery or two. I don't have a computer that can edit 4K footage. So, the Spark fulfills everything I need a drone to do and it is very portable.

The Mavic Air is a rather expensive starter drone. Might make more sense to buy him a Spark and "if" he enjoys it and sees the need to upgrade (better camera, longer flight time, longer range, etc) he can upgrade to whatever fulfills his needs.
The obstacles avoidance and slightly better flight time (5 more mins) are very tempting. Not to mention gesture mode also a lot better compared to Spark.

But the things is; Do you use them?

Just points to ponder. I've never needed CA or encountered an unplanned situation where they came into use. Flight time, well thats completely subjective. I tend to plan my flights around which drone I'm using. But I could see where longer flight times might be good depending on the use... I just tend to plan my flights around how much battery I have. IMO, gesture mode is cool, but a gimmick. When I got my Spark I played with gesture mode and that was mostly it. Now its kind of a "party trick" in that I show people that feature. Otherwise I don't use it...

My point is, consider if you REALLY need or use these features. I'm sure some people do and want these. Not raining on their parade, just saying before you spend the money think about if its worth it to switch...

The obstacles avoidance and slightly better flight time (5 more mins) are very tempting. Not to mention gesture mode also a lot better compared to Spark.

But the things is; Do you use them?

Just points to ponder. I've never needed CA or encountered an unplanned situation where they came into use. Flight time, well thats completely subjective. I tend to plan my flights around which drone I'm using. But I could see where longer flight times might be good depending on the use... I just tend to plan my flights around how much battery I have. IMO, gesture mode is cool, but a gimmick. When I got my Spark I played with gesture mode and that was mostly it. Now its kind of a "party trick" in that I show people that feature. Otherwise I don't use it...

My point is, consider if you REALLY need or use these features. I'm sure some people do and want these. Not raining on their parade, just saying before you spend the money think about if its worth it to switch...
But the obstacle avoidance is one feature really great to have as sometime I flew my Spark backward and I had forgotten it does not have rear sensors. Don't get me wrong, I still like my little Spark very much. It is a little wonder in such a cute package.

personally I have not yet happened to fly backwards ... I tend to fly forward and looking at the screen of the app I see where I'm going and what I'm filming .. then always in the app there is also the compass that tells you how you are oriented so ... then also duratne rth the drone always turns to you .. so my opinion already in mavic air this function to me nn serves..diversamente interesting the avoidance of obstacles.but as already said someone of the forum is it worth to lose a lot of money after your spark bought so many accessories? in my case, not for sure ...

I've changed my mind at least 4 times so far. If I didn't have a Spark, I'm sure I would buy the Air though.

You can buy the Mavic Air for yourself and give him your Spark as a used starting drone.
I bought a used spark that is perfect for not feeling uncomfortable if something goes wrong during my learning period.

I'm in the market it anyone is "giving away" a Spark!

Can't beat the value on that.

And don't forget about serious problem with Sparks - unexpected flyaways with complete loose of control. As far i know the electronics is a way better and reliable on Mavic Air

sincerely I have problems of flyaiways nn I had ... at the moment I stay to watch because as we said in Europe we have the problem of wi-fi with little power .. I would like to see if it comes out a change fcc even on air

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis