Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet for RC Controller

I'm NOT a fan of Apple products but after trying a few Android devices that our family had i went out and bought an ipad 2 mini second hand. It just works so well :/

It just works, that's what I like, I been using my iPad Mini also, with a OTG cable, something about having such a larger screen is so much nicer than having to use my iPhone.

Here a photo of my set up from last night.

2017-07-28_8-45-26.jpg

If you do not necessarily need a tablet there is another option for a dedicated monitor available. The DJI Crystalsky monitor is much brighter than tablets and is using an Android operating system. With a mount from Mavmount they can be used on the Spark, Mavic and can be adapted to the Inspire series. Currently there are 2 sizes available the 5.5" and the 7.85", the larger monitors are just starting to become available. There is an Ultra bright version slated to come out later this summer. Check them out here, DJI CrystalSky Monitor

IMG_1336 copy.JPG

Reactions: r_e_nm
Anyone use an ipod touch? I am asking as the ipod mini **** near costs as much as the drone. Wife wont go with that choice lol.
I just hooked up my iPod touch after seeing your post. It connects just fine and it runs dji go 4.1.4 (I have an android phone so still stuck with .3 on that). I am not sure however if you can get GPS on the iPod touch at all. Pretty sure you can't but that's not the worst thing in the world I guess.

It just works, that's what I like, I been using my iPad Mini also, with a OTG cable, something about having such a larger screen is so much nicer than having to use my iPhone.

Here a photo of my set up from last night.

View attachment 675
Is it not an android tablet, not just a monitor? So you will be behind in term of update between Ios / Android version. I still not see any update for my Android tab and I got it for my iPad mini 4 one day ago.
Nothing best than a DIY long sun hood with a customized mounting plate with the tablet support of a Phantom 3. Perfect, even with the sun here in Greece.

Reactions: r_e_nm
IMO, if you aren't all that knowledgeable about tablets and what will and won't work all the more reason to buy an Apple Ipad (one that is supported).

As I said in either this thread of another, I'd been using various Ipads over the years with my various DJI drones and the Apple Ipads have given ZERO issues. Sure my Ipad Air (processing equivalent of the Ipad Mini 2) would have an occasional screen refresh issue where it would partially draw in the screen or momentarily freeze, but it wasn't all the often and it lasted no longer than a blink of an eye...

Just do a search on this forum the MavicPilots, PhantomPilots, or even the InspirePilots forums and you'll see Apple tablets are the least problematic. You may be thinking you'll save yourself a few bucks now, but is the potential hassle worth it?

IMO, if you aren't all that knowledgeable about tablets and what will and won't work all the more reason to buy an Apple Ipad (one that is supported).

As I said in either this thread of another, I'd been using various Ipads over the years with my various DJI drones and the Apple Ipads have given ZERO issues. Sure my Ipad Air (processing equivalent of the Ipad Mini 2) would have an occasional screen refresh issue where it would partially draw in the screen or momentarily freeze, but it wasn't all the often and it lasted no longer than a blink of an eye...

Just do a search on this forum the MavicPilots, PhantomPilots, or even the InspirePilots forums and you'll see Apple tablets are the least problematic. You may be thinking you'll save yourself a few bucks now, but is the potential hassle worth it?

Thanks for that reply. I do appreciate it. I have other Apple devices (phone and touch) and they have all worked well but I would be buying a tablet (Mini4 for example) for no other use then with the Spark. The ASUS tablet linked is less then half the price of a Mini4. Just wondering if as a dedicated tablet it would meet my needs. Android devices are foreign to me. Thanks again for the opinion.

Been using my Acer Iconia tab as a controller with RC and its great for screen size while flying but full disclosure the DJI app is pretty wonky here compared to my iPhone 6+. Go4 v4.1.3

Have been doing some demo and displays running both iPads and CrystalSkys on the Spark RC. Nice and smooth.

The MavMount Tablet Holder for Mavic/Spark is a great mounting solution for both tablets and CrystalSkys. We really enjoy the 5.5" CrystalSky with the Spark RC and Spark.

Spark-iPad.jpg
Spark-CS.jpg

Reactions: ahhyeah
Is the CrystalSky display bright enough in sunlight to not need a sunshade? I'm considering one, but for me to spend that kind of money (I'm considering the 7.85") on basically a single use, dedicated display, it needs to be the best/brightest display.

Also is the case ruggedized? Dropping an Ipad on a firm surface can result in some bad damage or failure (not talking about dropping on its "face" or a hard hit to the face/glass), like on edge?

Have been doing some demo and displays running both iPads and CrystalSkys on the Spark RC. Nice and smooth.

The MavMount Tablet Holder for Mavic/Spark is a great mounting solution for both tablets and CrystalSkys. We really enjoy the 5.5" CrystalSky with the Spark RC and Spark.

View attachment 714
View attachment 715

Reactions: Advexure
Well I've flown almost 50/50 with my iPhone 6+ and my Acer Iconia and I am shopping for an iPad mini with GPS. The iPhone does everything better, has the latest app version and battery lasts for days. The Iconia battery does not even lay a day on standby for some reason. The only advantage to the Iconia is screen size and uSD slot. GO4 hangs frequently on the droid and is still not the latest version and the wifi lock with the RC is not nearly as good as it is with my iPhone.

Is the CrystalSky display bright enough in sunlight to not need a sunshade? I'm considering one, but for me to spend that kind of money (I'm considering the 7.85") on basically a single use, dedicated display, it needs to be the best/brightest display.

Also is the case ruggedized? Dropping an Ipad on a firm surface can result in some bad damage or failure (not talking about dropping on its "face" or a hard hit to the face/glass), like on edge?

The CS is very well designed and another product that uses magnesium aluminum alloy (I believe) for it's casing. Can't say I've dropped one yet but they definitely seem rugged. I could easily see someone coming out with some sort of bumper for them as well. Sorry unfortunately I cannot conduct a drop test! :eek:

They are definitely bright enough to see in regular high-noon daylight without a sunshade. If you know anyone with a Phantom 4 Pro+ unit that integrated display on the RC for that aircraft is 1000-nits and is comparable to that of the CS 7.85" High Brightness.

Also, I wouldn't say that CS is necessarily a single use display. Given that it can accommodate Micro SD's for playback directly on the display and also HDMI out enables it for additional use outside of the drone world. DJI has also provided public information that an HDMI module for HDMI in will be available soon. This will allow the display to work as a regular external monitor via HDMI in.

With my Mini 4 I get no map on the GO 4 main screen. The iPad only has WiFi. Is there an offline map that works on the mini 4 that doesn't have cellular data?

Is there an offline map that works on the mini 4 that doesn't have cellular data?
Before you head out to fly, cache the maps in DJI GO like this. Another option would be to setup a hotspot on your mobile phone (if possible), connect your iPad to that hotspot, and let the map data download in real-time as you fly.

Before you head out to fly, cache the maps in DJI GO like this. Another option would be to setup a hotspot on your mobile phone (if possible), connect your iPad to that hotspot, and let the map data download in real-time as you fly.
Sorry but it is GO4 app, I don't have this option using an iPad mini 4 wifi. I don't found a way to really cache maps. When I return to a place I flow, I have to use my phone as hotspot so maps can be retrieved.

Sorry but it is GO4 app, I don't have this option using an iPad mini 4 wifi.
No worries. Caching works with any version of the DJI GO app.

After caching the maps (as shown in the video at the link above), close DJI GO and disconnect your mobile device from the Internet (so you can verify whether or not the maps were cached). Start DJI GO and display the map to see if it shows the areas you cached. If the map is gray, then tap the map orientation icon (see the screenshot below) to lock the map orientation in place (the green lock should appear on the icon). If the green lock is already displayed on the icon, then tap the icon twice to toggle the lock option off and back on. Then, restart DJI GO and check the map again. If the map is still gray, then tap that icon once more and the cached area should appear.

IMG_3400.PNG

Reactions: Dronason
I have the latest Go4 iPhone and iPad app for the Spark and that setting to cache maps doesn't show in General Settings for me either. I've deleted and reinstalled the app a couple times and it still doesn't show. ????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex