Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tile tracker saved the day!

I found these while I was in Home Depot, I only paid $9.99 a box so I got 2 boxes $20.00 for 4 of them 2 coming in a box I figured couldn't go wrong! What I really liked was not only did they all work but I didn't have to go and buy batteries for them to start out with because the batteries were included, AWESOME!!! I know that they're not super long range, but if I can get in the general area I stand a better chance of finding my SPARK than not it's definitely better than the alternative and Thanks again for the AWESOME IDEA and GOD BLESS YOU GUYS!!!IMG_20181221_161208439.jpg

Anyone have pics of the Tile Pro or Tile Mate mounted on their Spark? I see the Loc8tor on Spark317 just want to see how the tile compares when mounted. Curious on the affect to flight time and aerodynamics these have on the Spark as time is already pretty limited when stripped naked (the drone that is - for all you comedians - haha).

The spark has its GPS antenna under the hood somewhere, it'd be good to know where it's at because placing something like a Tile over the top of it would shade the antenna from the GPS signals. (the Tile case is plastic, but there's a circuit board in there, plus a metal button battery)

Anyone happen to know where the gest place would be on the spark for that? (preferably somewhere close to its center of gravity also)

Reactions: sf419
The spark has its GPS antenna under the hood somewhere, it'd be good to know where it's at because placing something like a Tile over the top of it would shade the antenna from the GPS signals. (the Tile case is plastic, but there's a circuit board in there, plus a metal button battery)

Anyone happen to know where the gest place would be on the spark for that? (preferably somewhere close to its center of gravity also)
GPS is in the rear - so put nothing on top back there.

February 21, 2019 125243 PM EST.png

Reactions: McCloudSpark
oh, very good, thank you! I should clarify for you though, the module is NOT the antenna. The white block above it, with the slightly off-center circle, is the antenna for the GPS. (I work with these sorts of GPS systems all the time) What you have marked is the "radio" for the GPS, and is in a shielded can to prevent interference. The radio can be covered without affecting its performance. The white box above it is the only thing you have to keep in the clear.

Reactions: Spark 317
So best to place it right in the middle on the top? (bottom is impossible due to sensors and battery, sides would create an imbalance)
Imbalance? Center of gravity?
a - the Tile is pretty small, thin and lightweight
b - the drone is smart enough to compensate - you don't think that heavy battery in the back is counter balanced do you?

oh, very good, thank you! I should clarify for you though, the module is NOT the antenna. The white block above it, with the slightly off-center circle, is the antenna for the GPS. (I work with these sorts of GPS systems all the time) What you have marked is the "radio" for the GPS, and is in a shielded can to prevent interference. The radio can be covered without affecting its performance. The white box above it is the only thing you have to keep in the clear.

Thanks for sharing.

That's what I intended to hit but efiting, editing on the fly from a tiny snart, smart phone screen has it's challenges at times.;)

What about interference?

If a BT device like a smart watch, can affect RC radio, don't these locators interfere too?

What about interference?

If a BT device like a smart watch, can affect RC radio, don't these locators interfere too?

The BT is not active until you "wake it up" when the tile is activated, most likely when you are looking for it vs. flying.

I found these while I was in Home Depot, I only paid $9.99 a box so I got 2 boxes $20.00 for 4 of them

I was just looking around and can't find anywhere near that kind of a deal on them. They must have been on some christmas special? Or where can you find them for that price? $17/ea is about as low as I see them right now.

Reactions: CLAY347
Just bought the new Tile Pro, replaceable battery model. The old sport I was flying with is now on my keyring until its battery snuffs it. As for placement on the Spark, I have a velcro strip on each of my batteries, and the tile attaches to them. That's about as far as you can get from the radios/GPS systems... without bothering the VPS stuff either. No interference that I am aware of. Just turn of BT on your mobile device while you are flying. If you need to find your drone later, turn it back on, and open the Tile app. Works great.

Oh ya, and I bought one and attached it to the wife, so I can keep track of where she's spending our money! :oops::eek:

Reactions: sf419 and Brojon
I was just looking around and can't find anywhere near that kind of a deal on them. They must have been on some christmas special? Or where can you find them for that price? $17/ea is about as low as I see them right now.
They were I just looked at my receipt and to help you out I have 3 left just sitting around because I just bought them mainly because of price and for my SPARK so I would be happy to give you 1 if you want it just post me where to send it to brother and God Bless.

The BT is not active until you "wake it up" when the tile is activated, most likely when you are looking for it vs. flying.
BT of tracker is active all the time, and it's ON the spark.

I had never noticed interference from my smart watch, but there are operators complaining about this.

I was just wondering.

Amazon has the whole line and same price as above, or better.

BT of tracker is active all the time, and it's ON the spark.

I had never noticed interference from my smart watch, but there are operators complaining about this.

I was just wondering.

How does Tile work? (link from Tile's site)

If there is no device polling for tiles near your tile, then it is dormant.

From the picture - it looks like a good spot to place the tracker would be over the fan or cooling fins (like right in the middle).

That is where my Loc8tor is mounted, center of the Spark on top.

Reactions: McCloudSpark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh