Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tile tracker saved the day!

Well, it took us a long time to get to that conclusion :cool:

Not a whole lot of "real estate" to choose from when it comes to the Spark.

There's a chance of cover something or it might hit the props.

Since no one had pics to post - I went ahead and ordered Tile Pro (300 ft range) and here is how I mounted. It is close to the GPS antenna in the spark and too windy next few days to test if it will be an issue (will follow up in couple days). Used 3m fasteners from ez-pass very secure, but does stick up a bit. Have to position where it is to avoids props. Would consider putting on battery but would have to remove and replace every time changed battery and this way I don't.

20190224_220643.jpg20190224_220514.jpg
20190224_220439.jpg

Since no one had pics to post - I went ahead and ordered Tile Pro (300 ft range) and here is how I mounted. It is close to the GPS antenna in the spark and too windy next few days to test if it will be an issue (will follow up in couple days). Used 3m fasteners from ez-pass very secure, but does stick up a bit. Have to position where it is to avoids props. Would consider putting on battery but would have to remove and replace every time changed battery and this way I don't.

View attachment 8975View attachment 8976
View attachment 8977
Yep - that should work! Right over the heat-sink.
Curious - what did you pay for the tile? I've seen them for $32 USD ea. on Amazon.

Yep - that should work! Right over the heat-sink.
Curious - what did you pay for the tile? I've seen them for $32 USD ea. on Amazon.

Yes - got a single one for $31.75 on Amazon. Because a small part of the tracker goes back beyond the vents, I'm a little concerned of GPS or Compass interference. It will likely be a few days before I can test, as high winds are expected much of this week where I am.

Ok based on all the fly away posts recently - I moved the Tile Pro to under the battery. Don't want to change degrading GPS reception.

Attachments

• 20190225_192702.jpg
    20190225_192702.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190225_192732.jpg
    20190225_192732.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 38
Ok based on all the fly away posts recently - I moved the Tile Pro to under the battery. Don't want to change degrading GPS reception.
I think it would have been ok where it was on top! Curious - how easy is it to remove the 3M tape?

Correct me if I’m wrong.... but contained within DJI go4 app I believe there is a ‘find my drone’ tab that should locate your lost drone via gps on a map...?
I’m lead to believe it works even when battery is disconnected...

Find my drone in the app works great (I'm a big fan and did have to use in the past - successfully I might add), but only if GPS is locked in (not if fly away I don't think where GPS is lost). Also shows last position where it had GPS lock and had power. When battery drained it will not track the drone beyond last point it had power. Say your flying over forest at 350 ft going 30mph and battery pops out or bird strike and battery ejected. Spark will still travel a distance and could be stuck in tree or thick brush. Find my drone could get you within a general area, but Tile Pro will pinpoint once within 300 ft. Just an insurance policy for some additional peace of mind.

Reactions: nilanjan118
BT of tracker is active all the time, and it's ON the spark.

I had never noticed interference from my smart watch, but there are operators complaining about this.

I was just wondering.
You'll find there a people who will pontificate convincingly on stuff they know nothing about.
These are the folks that *swear* you have to put your phone in airplane mode, remove all rings or watches because they are metallic, leave all other electronics at home, calibrate their IMU and compass before every flight and generally practicing drone voodoo without a license ;)

Correct me if I’m wrong.... but contained within DJI go4 app I believe there is a ‘find my drone’ tab that should locate your lost drone via gps on a map...?
I’m lead to believe it works even when battery is disconnected...
Only up to location that it was powered on AND connected to the controller.
You lose signal and it goes down now you are working on best guesses.
Having a device that works for about 2-300 hundred feet and makes noise can be a real help in extending your searchg radius beyond what you can actually see.
Additionally if you can get to it before the battery runs down there's always the chance you can reconnect.

I use both but only at night. Otherwise just Tile Pro.

Attachments

• 20190303_092505.jpg
    20190303_092505.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20190303_092651.jpg
    20190303_092651.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190303_092708.jpg
    20190303_092708.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
You'll find there a people who will pontificate convincingly on stuff they know nothing about.
These are the folks that *swear* you have to put your phone in airplane mode, remove all rings or watches because they are metallic, leave all other electronics at home, calibrate their IMU and compass before every flight and generally practicing drone voodoo without a license ;)
I know, that's my point...

Yes this is why we need trackers, they're underappreciated in the drone community because of waypoints,gps and flight logs. When in reality trackers offer more than those. For something cheaper and also viable I suggest trackimo drone tracker it's a bit heavier but it's cheaper.

View attachment 8975View attachment 8976
View attachment 8977
Tried the Tile Pro on top again - made sure to leave the space over the GPS antenna towards the rear half unobstructed. When placing on top i continue to get compass errors. Think only alternative is to attach to the bottom of the battery, which is a little bit of a pain to remove and replace every time I change the battery.

My latest update on Tile Pro bt tracker. I had to move the tile under the battery due to compass interference when mounting on top (even though I was far enough forward not to cover the GPS antenna). Think the metal ring surrounding the tile may be the culprit, but wasn't going to cut it off to test. I then would try landing in a field 300' away as advertised operating distance stated (no signal) - then tried 200' (no signal) - then 100' away (no signal) - finally got signal and ability to trigger the tile around 50' away. I decided to return the Tile Pro after those disappointing results. I may consider something different in the future, but for now just relying on find my drone in the app.

Reactions: pixelbrat
My latest update on Tile Pro bt tracker. I had to move the tile under the battery due to compass interference when mounting on top (even though I was far enough forward not to cover the GPS antenna). Think the metal ring surrounding the tile may be the culprit, but wasn't going to cut it off to test. I then would try landing in a field 300' away as advertised operating distance stated (no signal) - then tried 200' (no signal) - then 100' away (no signal) - finally got signal and ability to trigger the tile around 50' away. I decided to return the Tile Pro after those disappointing results. I may consider something different in the future, but for now just relying on find my drone in the app.

Bummer.

I thought it would be a good alternative product to the other trackers available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers