Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

USB OTG connection with an iPhone

raiden00

Join
Jun 24, 2017
Hi,

This morning I flew with my iPhone connected to the RC directly through an OTG adapter and a lightning cable. Everything worked pretty well, and I don't have any specific issues. However, I've noticed the following and I'd like to know if other people are seeing the same.

Upon connecting my iPhone to the RC, I get a popup on my phone that says something like "This device may not be supported". Everything seems to work ok, but I was wondering if other people are getting the same message since I haven't seen anyone talk about it in the forums (I do know that DJI does not support this connection method officially).

Selection of 2.4 vs 5Ghz? If I connect my iPhone to the RC via wifi, I can select between 2.4 and 5Ghz and during flight I can see the typical wifi signal power symbol in the DJI Go app. However, if I connect via OTG cable and then set the iPhone to airplane mode the following happens:
  • I cannot select between 2.4 and 5GHz (the options are grayed out). I've heard that the connection is much stronger when in 2.4 GHz. However, is the option we are given just for the phone <-> RC connection instead of the connection to the spark?
  • The wifi signal power diagram is grayed out during flight and does not indicate anything. This seems to me that that icon shows the wifi strength between the phone and the RC but not between the RC and the spark. Is there any way to get an indication on how good the connection between the RC and the spark is while connected via USB OTG? This would be useful to avoid getting too far when the signal is degrading.

Finally, does anyone have a suggestion for a right angle lightning cable that they have tried and works fine? I've found multiple in Amazon, but most have reviews of people saying that the cables were not as reliable as the Apple ones.

Thanks!

Regarding "This device may not be supported"...that's not a Spark issue, its Apple wanting you to their $20 cable as opposed to generic. Happen all the time with my car charger.

I was hoping for a clean microUSB to Lightning cable. I bought the Meenova one hoping that it was OTG. It's designed to connect a DAC/camera. I'm sad to report it didn't work. But if you want to charge your remote with your iPhone battery, it works great

Hi, Raiden00, the same trouble happened with me when I tried ro connect, with the otg cable in my Iphone, I can't fly because the message appear. I really don't know if the problem is with the OTG cable or the lightening cable... Its strange, because I saw in youtube people connecting in Ipad, and works fine... Did you find the solution? please let me know. Tks

I've had mixed results with OTG and iPad mini 4. Connection sequence is important, as someone mentioned in another thread, the cable is connected last. I put it in airplane mode and then connected the cable after spark and Rc were powered/connected. The Mavic is better in this respect, it has a normal USB connector. I am using an adapter and lightning cable for the Spark which I'm sure doesn't help. The 20 cm cable is too short for the external iPad holder I use with the controller.

Reactions: Bruno
Hi, Raiden00, the same trouble happened with me when I tried ro connect, with the otg cable in my Iphone, I can't fly because the message appear. I really don't know if the problem is with the OTG cable or the lightening cable... Its strange, because I saw in youtube people connecting in Ipad, and works fine... Did you find the solution? please let me know. Tks

Apparently everyone gets that message but it's not an issue at all.

In fact, I've always been able to fly with the OTG cable no problem. You need to remember to connect the cable AFTER the remote is on.

However, I still have the issue that whenever using the OTG cable I do not get info about the quality of the signal (the icon is grayed out). Also, I don't know how to select 2.4 vs 5 GHz when using the cable...

Apparently everyone gets that message but it's not an issue at all.

In fact, I've always been able to fly with the OTG cable no problem. You need to remember to connect the cable AFTER the remote is on.

However, I still have the issue that whenever using the OTG cable I do not get info about the quality of the signal (the icon is grayed out). Also, I don't know how to select 2.4 vs 5 GHz when using the cable...
I have that problem too with the signal strength being grayed out. Also, when connected through the OTG I am always connected at 2.4 GHz, but when connected through wifi I am always at 5.8GHz. No option to switch.

Hi,

This morning I flew with my iPhone connected to the RC directly through an OTG adapter and a lightning cable. Everything worked pretty well, and I don't have any specific issues. However, I've noticed the following and I'd like to know if other people are seeing the same.

Upon connecting my iPhone to the RC, I get a popup on my phone that says something like "This device may not be supported". Everything seems to work ok, but I was wondering if other people are getting the same message since I haven't seen anyone talk about it in the forums (I do know that DJI does not support this connection method officially).

Selection of 2.4 vs 5Ghz? If I connect my iPhone to the RC via wifi, I can select between 2.4 and 5Ghz and during flight I can see the typical wifi signal power symbol in the DJI Go app. However, if I connect via OTG cable and then set the iPhone to airplane mode the following happens:
  • I cannot select between 2.4 and 5GHz (the options are grayed out). I've heard that the connection is much stronger when in 2.4 GHz. However, is the option we are given just for the phone <-> RC connection instead of the connection to the spark?
  • The wifi signal power diagram is grayed out during flight and does not indicate anything. This seems to me that that icon shows the wifi strength between the phone and the RC but not between the RC and the spark. Is there any way to get an indication on how good the connection between the RC and the spark is while connected via USB OTG? This would be useful to avoid getting too far when the signal is degrading.

Finally, does anyone have a suggestion for a right angle lightning cable that they have tried and works fine? I've found multiple in Amazon, but most have reviews of people saying that the cables were not as reliable as the Apple ones.

Thanks!

hello every boy i reply to your question. i am using android and the message that appears to me as you have described me nn appears ... so i'm probably using a iphone and nn android is that the reason. regarding the question who is posted about the connection with otg cable and select the 2,4ghz instead of the 5.8ghz I downloaded from a video in italian (please use the translator) look at the whole video on tecnophone.it. you have to install an app as it says the video and install it one When installed, the spark and the radio are switched on and the application opens. For the Italian territory, a message will be displayed that tells you that in america you have to say ok. In this way the freq frequencies are activated and you have more power in the drone.doi turn off everything and you have to re-install the official application of dji.io when I turn on the spark and connect the cable remains "all" as set.nn i know if this thing can also serve to you i hope i hi

by Going Otg cable. there is always something missing here and there. i do notice there is no selection between 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz. i think they intend to make the signal weak (for some reasons which i don't know)

in italy if you do not apply the app that I downloaded from www.tecnophone .it nn do a lot .. after only 100 meters with the wi-fi it collapses all video and radio signal .. this is why European frequencies provide a max power of 25mw versus 500 mw that are applied in usa..good america !!!!

Reactions: Vilco
As regards to changing the channel you need to press one of the channel numbers under custom. The higher numbers are 5.8 and the lower are 2.4 from what I can remember

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme