Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Distance restrictions using OTG?

Tisane

Join
Sep 27, 2017
Has anyone noticed any distance restrictions while using OTG cable since the last round of firmware and app updates?
I haven't personally but I've heard a few people state that they can't get more than 100m distance and 50m height if connected via OTG.
Hope this isn't something that's going to creep in as I hate flying with wifi connection.

I noticed that today, i could not go far then 100m not sure why, could be as i was near an airport

I beleive the restriction applies to ios devices at the moment, no idea why.
I'm seeing it with my ipad mini but not on my Android phone.

I used my s6 which is android, i notice the restriction of 100m

That's really odd. Have you updated the app recently ?
I just installed the latest version on a new Android phone yesterday and don't see any restrictions.

I beleive the restriction applies to ios devices at the moment, no idea why.
I'm seeing it with my ipad mini but not on my Android phone.
Was there an update? Didnt notice anything telling me to update

Was there an update? Didnt notice anything telling me to update
Version 4.1.11 came out recently.
Was out with my Spark this morning, I tried both wifi and OTG connections (Android phone) and I've got say I didn't notice any difference between them.
I didn't see any significant lag with either OTG or wifi.
I noticed a wifi black spot in one area when the Spark was facing a certain direction, I lost signal between RC and drone for a couple of seconds but of course it made no difference whether I connected to the RC with wifi or OTG. I still lost the signal at the black spot.
That said, I've read that OTG can boost range but I didn't test for that this morning, I was more looking for any signs of lag.

My point was that since not all app versions notify you about it until you actually fly out and reach the limit testing indoors doesn't help much.

My point was that since not all app versions notify you about it until you actually fly out and reach the limit testing indoors doesn't help much.

Might have been better to check which version he has first then before leaving a sarcastic comment !
In any case, I'm fairly sure both ios and android versions tell you the range limit in the settings.

Reactions: BogdanP
Version 4.1.11 came out recently.
Was out with my Spark this morning, I tried both wifi and OTG connections (Android phone) and I've got say I didn't notice any difference between them.
I didn't see any significant lag with either OTG or wifi.
I noticed a wifi black spot in one area when the Spark was facing a certain direction, I lost signal between RC and drone for a couple of seconds but of course it made no difference whether I connected to the RC with wifi or OTG. I still lost the signal at the black spot.
That said, I've read that OTG can boost range but I didn't test for that this morning, I was more looking for any signs of lag.
Was it better with wifi then otg?
What difference does otg make? Is it just the video signal?

Was it better with wifi then otg?
What difference does otg make? Is it just the video signal?

Like I say, I couldn't see any difference in terms of video lag or signal loss.
From what I've read and seen on Youtube, OTG can make a difference to the range you can get as turning off the wifi on your mobile device reduces the possibility off interferance between the RC and the Spark.
I haven't tried further than about 300m with my Spark yet so I can't confirm this but I can see the logic.
I'll post up a link later to a video I watched the other day where a guy did a pretty comprehensive test of OTG versus wifi on both ios and Android.
Long story short, the Android device with OTG got the best range.

Ok, I did my own range test this morning.
Using an android phone, I only got to about 100m before the signal between RC and Spark was affected. Pretty rubbish.
With OTG, I got to 190m before turning back and the signal was still good.
I've no doubt I could have gone much further but I'm not comfortable flying any further yet as I could barely see the Spark at that distance.
So I'm now convinced OTG is the way to go with android if you need to fly more than 100m.
Haven't tried the same test with ios but from what I've seen and read, OTG doesn't make as much of a difference, if any.

Ok, I did my own range test this morning.
Using an android phone, I only got to about 100m before the signal between RC and Spark was affected. Pretty rubbish.
With OTG, I got to 190m before turning back and the signal was still good.
I've no doubt I could have gone much further but I'm not comfortable flying any further yet as I could barely see the Spark at that distance.
So I'm now convinced OTG is the way to go with android if you need to fly more than 100m.
Haven't tried the same test with ios but from what I've seen and read, OTG doesn't make as much of a difference, if any.
Kool..did your spark rth by itself fine?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar