Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Moving from Android to iOS

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
I recently purchased a used four year old Galaxy Tab S as a dedicated device for flying. Stripped down it worked ok with GO 4 but lagged badly on occasion with Litchi. Worst part was when the battery telemetry would get stuck at whatever it was at the time. The Tab has a locked bootloader so I couldn't try custom ROMs on it. So I've scrapped that idea and purchased an iPad Mini 4 off eBay, now just waiting on it to arrive.

I plan on using Mike Singer's excellent guide for installing GO 4 but as I've never flown with iOS before, I'm wondering for those who used both OS's, are there any settings or anything in particular with the iPad that I should be aware of coming from the droid? Also, I believe the iPad has a baked in screen recorder, will this work ok while running GO 4 or Litchi and can quality/file size be adjusted to keep files on the smaller side as my iPad is the base 16GB. I figured 16GB should be more than enough for the apps and files that will be on it but not sure about the screen recording output.

I fly primarily with a WiFi only mini4.

Occasionally I'll fly with the Droids.

The screen recorder works fine but I may get a yellow prompt about the CPU being tasked. I didn't use to get it but I think the updates for the Go4 and iOs may have slowed it down over the years. ?

I think it's Apple's way if getting me to purchase a mini5. ?

Since I don't use Apple products everyday it's a little frustrating at times learning how the menus work when navigating the iOs.

The Go4 app is essentially the same but there may be an option available in one and not the other due to the operating system.

I haven't checked on limiting the storage space as I have 128 gb of storage.

Reactions: RotorWash
The Go4 app is essentially the same but there may be an option available in one and not the other due to the operating system.

I did some digging around and remembered this post...

The flight simulator still works on iOs. ?

It was removed from the Droids not too long ago, but the Droids have the ability to roll back to previous firmware's and APK's that might get it back.

I don't think iOs allows the option to go back once you updated to something newer.

I did some digging around and remembered this post...

The flight simulator still works on iOs. ?

It was removed from the Droids not too long ago, but the Droids have the ability to roll back to previous firmware's and APK's that might get it back.

I don't think iOs allows the option to go back once you updated to something newer.
Thanks very much Spark 317, I appreciate the info. ? Before I went looking for one I remembered a while back that you mentioned about wishing your Mini had wifi+cell due to the added GPS it gives, so I made sure I got one with the cellular option. So double-thanks!! :)

Reactions: Spark 317
I use a Mini 4 32Gb with WiFi and cellular but I don't use the cellular part. I keep it up to date with firmware and iOS updates and it has never given me any issues. From what I remember of switching from Android, Go4 was no different. Excellent choice RotorWash!

I use a Mini 4 32Gb with WiFi and cellular but I don't use the cellular part. I keep it up to date with firmware and iOS updates and it has never given me any issues. From what I remember of switching from Android, Go4 was no different. Excellent choice RotorWash!
I greatly appreciate your input graywoulf. Thank you!

I think you will be very happy with your iPad mini 4. I am flying most of the time with an iPad mini 2 with 16GB. I have limited the settings to avoid maxing out the CPU and it works. I am waiting to see when the new mini 6 comes out or what kind of deal I can get on a iPad mini 5.

With the latest iOS and DJI GO 4 and Litchi on the iPad, I have about 9.5 GB left of my 16. So I guess a screen recording would be possible if I had a faster CPU/GPU, but I haven't tried recording to over task. I do get a bit of lag with this older processor already.

I think you will be very happy with your iPad mini 4. I am flying most of the time with an iPad mini 2 with 16GB. I have limited the settings to avoid maxing out the CPU and it works. I am waiting to see when the new mini 6 comes out or what kind of deal I can get on a iPad mini 5.

With the latest iOS and DJI GO 4 and Litchi on the iPad, I have about 9.5 GB left of my 16. So I guess a screen recording would be possible if I had a faster CPU/GPU, but I haven't tried recording to over task. I do get a bit of lag with this older processor already.
Greatly appreciate the info, thank you NOLADG. I did look at some Mini 5s but the price was a bit steep for me at this time. Maybe for the next addition to the hangar though! Happy flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme