Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Here To Stay

Yeah that's a reach ....conspiracy much? Never mind that iOS works 10 times better than android with DJI…

Reactions: asaulo1
I have rechecked OTG with latest fw and Go4 app version for the affected functionalities when using it.
Seems that the latest android version get several improvement when using OTG regarding functionalities (did not check for distance or video quality).
But the IOS stays where it was.
Tested with Samsung S8 and Go4 4.1.8, iPad mini 4 and Go4 4.1.9, fw .0600.

Bold items apply to both IOS and android where non bold apply only to IOS.

Limitations:
  • Cannot change wifi band. (on android it seems a wrong screen is displayed (looks like PH3).
  • No signal level indication with IOS.
  • Loss of custom buttons setup on IOS.
  • Not officially supported by dji, so it could be removed in the future.
  • RC cannot be calibrated with IOS (on IOS, screen is even not the same wizard).
  • RTH maximum altitude is 50m on IOS (wifi is up to 500 m, android is ok).
  • Shows the Joystick/GUI button at bottom left, but it seems inactive, on IOS device.
In return, using OTG will bring the following advantages:
  • You can still use internet and get live map (but android has off-line map).
  • Reduced lag as only one wifi connection is used (probably not that big improvement on high-end device).
  • Less risk of interference as in total only one wifi band is used and it is selected by the Spark as quiet.
  • Full control of band and channel (in wifi mode, the RC channel cannot be selected).

IMO the biggest advantage of using OTG on Android is a much more stable 5.8 connection (much less "weak signal" warnings) in CE countries (Europe), even at 300-400m.
In FCC mode the wifi connection is very stable even on 5.8GHz up to 1km or so, and there is not really a reason to change bands or use OTG.

In FCC mode, the wifi channels at 5.8G have normal power where in CE mode, it is highly reduced. So that 2 different cases.
On the other side, in CE mode, these 5.8G channels are little used by others, just take care of some FPV quad operating at these frequencies too.

If you get poor 5.8G connection in wifi mode and improvement when using 5.8G with OTG, it means that the problem is at 2.4G with the link between the RC and your phone.
Maybe some bluetooth devices active ?
The issue is that the channel used by the RC cannot be selected and sometimes the RC select it very strangely and not at the best channel IMO.

Yes, I know all that. But it really makes no sense that OTG helps for the 5.8GHz connection since - like you also mentioned - the only difference is the Phone-RC link (2.4 or OTG cable).
- Since they are literally touching, 2.4GHz interference should not be a significant issue at that distance.
- When you connect the Spark wifi only (no RC) on 2.4GHz, the connection may be bad >10m in busy wifi locations, but even then it is usually fine at close range.
- I noticed this strange behavior even out in the field without any wifi nearby (and no BT active either).

Something strange is going with that and it would help if DJI could provide a solution.

I think that really the problem is that we have no control on the channel used by the RC for its wifi.
Maybe it don't care of the SSID of other wifi and just check signal level, but the problem is that a hot spot can be quite and just start transmitting at any time.
I just make a test and Spark used channel 149 on 5.8G, it was expected. RC use channel 11 where I have 2 of my hotspots and the 2 hot spots of my neighbor. I have another hotspot at channel 3, so I would have seen channel 6 as a much better choice. If any of the other 4 hotspots start to get active, it will be the mess, you get lags.
Best would be to have auto and manual control of the RC channel.

That does not explain why this also occurs out in the field away from any 2.4 accesspoints (all green bars) or BT!
IMO there is some kind of error in the implementation that DJI currently uses, and I really hope the wifi connnection issues in CE will finally be fixed in a future FW update!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar