Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Here To Stay

Maybe you should think from forum users point of view that search for workaround to issue they have.

If you knew me, I've been on the forums for many years.. Since 2006 on RCG. That's how DJI found me :)

If OTG is a work around for you that's great but I'm also making sure people understand there are limitations as well. That's all I'm truly doing, not trying to rain on anyone parade ;-)

If you knew me, I've been on the forums for many years.. Since 2006 on RCG. That's how DJI found me :)

If OTG is a work around for you that's great but I'm also making sure people understand there are limitations as well. That's all I'm truly doing, not trying to rain on anyone parade ;-)
Sorry not knowing you.
That's clear it is not supported from DJI side and they somehow left it active by mistake (?), so it could be a no future solution. We have to better understand how the communication is made to use it at the best. For here in Europe and people wanting to use Android it seems to be a bigger concern than for operating in US with an IOS device when connecting through 5.8G wifi (to RC or Spark). So for some of us, OTG is a sensitive subject as we are already limited in power/range so using 2.4G for RC/Spark is needed, so the link from tablet to RC would be either 5.8G or OTG.

For somebody, here in Europe like me that is using a samsung S6 or a S7 (both in the DJI list of compatible device) with the Spark and operate with the Spark link at 2.4G to have a descent range?
Is there any alternative to the use an OTG cable with the above hypothesis ?
Will we be forced to buy IOS device if DJI disable OTG ?
If you have any inside view of DJI thinking or their plan for future, it would be welcome. So I could decide to cancel or not the order of my second Spark.

The OTG connection is there for goggles.

I've put another message into the PM for the spark to see if they have plans on locking it down to goggles hardware ID.

The OTG connection is there for goggles.

I've put another message into the PM for the spark to see if they have plans on locking it down to goggles hardware ID.

Thanks for reporting result as it is critical for some of us.

The Spark is my first DJI product. Honestly I haven't had any serious connection issues using only wifi to the RC with my Spark BUT if I am connected to the Spark RC I lose the benefit of being connected to the internet to have live map or Sat view download. Seems like a dumb limitation to me. Don't other DJI kits use a wired connection to the OSD iOS/Droid devices? Does the Mavic operate this way? What really is the benefit/reasoning to subject the product to the vagaries of wifi interference when the simple wired solution would resolve that? Apple's fault probably. I guess a cellular connected device NOT in Airplane mode is the best solution - wifi to RC plus live cellular data packet access.

Reactions: Ninogiva
Don't other DJI kits use a wired connection to the OSD iOS/Droid devices? Does the Mavic operate this way?
When flying the Mavic with the remote controller, it can only be connected to a mobile device via a cable.

When flying the Mavic with the remote controller, it can only be connected to a mobile device via a cable.
Thanks for the info. Interesting that they would choose to value engineer the Spark in this way AND seem to be kinda vocal about it not being supported while most find it works.

Thanks for the info. Interesting that they would choose to value engineer the Spark in this way AND seem to be kinda vocal about it not being supported while most find it works.

It's was to keep the cost down.. And once again the app doesn't fully function when using OTG.

It's was to keep the cost down.. And once again the app doesn't fully function when using OTG.

What features don't work when using the OTG cable on an IOS device? I've been. Using the OTG setup for a while now and have t noticed. Thanks.

Considering all of the testing they must have needed and now the support needed for a new system. that value engineering they did probably did not engineer any value.

Just flew the spark this morning with just wifi ( airplane mode and wifi on at 5.8ghz ) and the video on the screen was fuzzy. I think I will stick with the OTG cable as it gives me a clearer picture on the screen. Maybe just me but that seems to be the case.

Reactions: Mikel Manitius
Same here. Eu, latest fw and 4.1.5 app, no bt active. Very unstable connection on WiFi 5.8 ( so 2.4 for the phone). But when I use otg the connection is rock solid!

I can live with the limited CE range of 500m or so, but the disconnects (no signal, laggy image) every few seconds even at <100m are not acceptable, and that is the reality for too many people right now.

This tells me there is an issue with the phone-rc connection in wifi mode that should be solved by dji soon, given the many complaints in EU.

I would really appreciate some kind of formal statement from dji that the issues have been recognized and that it is being worked on. Simply supporting otg for spark would be one viable solution...

Last edited:
Is OTG officially supported now with DJI? The spark Fly More Combo now has it included in the photo showing all that comes with it and am wondering if they have changed any statements yet?
View attachment 779
Although I'm wondering if it's a mistake of sorts... Cause the list of items included in the FM Combo doesn't include the cable. Why must you be confusing DJI?!
View attachment 780
View attachment 781

That photo shows the Spark USB charging cable (for charging the remote or a 4th battery in the Spark itself). What is shows on the photo is not an OTG cable, but I think it looks that way due to it being depicted as so short (which I think they did for aesthetics - it's not accurate). The fly more combo does not come with an OTG cable.

Using another OTG cable is not going to help. When connected via OTG, some of the DJI GO features do not work as expected.

Which features exactly?

I've been flying with an OTG cable on all of my flights and have yet to find something that does not work properly. Using the cable is much more reliable than the RC to phone WiFi for me.

Which features exactly?

I've been flying with an OTG cable on all of my flights and have yet to find something that does not work properly. Using the cable is much more reliable than the RC to phone WiFi for me.
Like always having to reset the custom buttons if you use OTG.....

Which features exactly?

Cannot change wifi band.
No signal level indicator.
As said already, loss of custom buttons setup (for ios devices only).
Not officially supported by dji, so it could be removed.

Reactions: Dronason
With android I have found everything works flawlessly. Can calibrate controller, mapped buttons stay mapped and I get real time video. Only apple has the button mapping issue and from the sounds of things rc calibration. Apple don't like otg with their devices hence DJI saying it isn't supported. In Apple's eyes it is a back door to get around most of their products people are usually forced to buy. Imagine an apple user realising they can watch movies from a usb stick... now imagine apple thinking of the money they lose from movie sales on the apple store or apple tv.... really down to apple being over restrictive with how their stuff works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar