Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG. I've not understood very well some things.

Soar Like an Eagle

Join
Jan 31, 2019
Loc
Italy
Hello people,
I've been reading DJI forum for a while but I've not clear what OTG, on an Android device, can do.
I've a S7 Edge, and I've used an OTG connector to connect my phone to RC and I've noticed that it was recognized by DJI Go.
My question is: What is the main reason to use an OTG connector?
Someone can explain me that for good?

Thanks,
Eagle Spirit

Hello people,
I've been reading DJI forum for a while but I've not clear what OTG, on an Android device, can do.
I've a S7 Edge, and I've used an OTG connector to connect my phone to RC and I've noticed that it was recognized by DJI Go.
My question is: What is the main reason to use an OTG connector?
Someone can explain me that for good?

Thanks,
Eagle Spirit

OTG eliminates the need for the Remote Control and phone to communicate by wifi. Wired connections are less susceptible to interference and therefore generally more reliable. Mavic Pro uses cabled connection by default for this reason.

Most user notice significantly better video on their device with OTG cable: less dropped video feed, less stutter, less lag. [Some claim longer range but OTG cannot boost distance since that is communicating between RC and aircraft].

If you have none of those problems then don't worry about OTG. But for 10 dollars I've noticed a big difference and airways carry one.

Reactions: Stanlee and Haggi
I'm using IOS but I assume it is for the same
benefit.
With OTG, I have a better connection, almost no
more disconnection and, obviously, less video lag.
And without the WiFi link between the tab/phone
and remote, you can choose what band(2.4 - 5.8)
you want to use for your flight.

I'm using IOS but I assume it is for the same
benefit.
With OTG, I have a better connection, almost no
more disconnection and, obviously, less video lag.
And without the WiFi link between the tab/phone
and remote, you can choose what band(2.4 - 5.8)
you want to use for your flight.
Thanks!

Now,
I've connected it to my Android smartphone and works.
But... what is your configuration?
Can you post some photos?
The wire connected to the device is not very comfortable!

OTG eliminates the need for the Remote Control and phone to communicate by wifi. Wired connections are less susceptible to interference and therefore generally more reliable. Mavic Pro uses cabled connection by default for this reason.

Most user notice significantly better video on their device with OTG cable: less dropped video feed, less stutter, less lag. [Some claim longer range but OTG cannot boost distance since that is communicating between RC and aircraft].

If you have none of those problems then don't worry about OTG. But for 10 dollars I've noticed a big difference and airways carry one.

Andree,do you recommend any OTG brand?i’v see a lot on Amazon but don’t know which one to order.

Reactions: Soar Like an Eagle
Andree,do you recommend any OTG brand?i’v see a lot on Amazon but don’t know which one to order.

I've gotten all my OTG cables on Amazon from RCgeek.

I'm sure there are a lot of other good sellers out there. Lots of bad ones too.

You are buying from a reseller - not a manufacturer. So when I find a good supplier I stick with them. They have good pricing too.

I've gotten all my OTG cables on Amazon from RCgeek.

I'm sure there are a lot of other good sellers out there. Lots of bad ones too.

You are buying from a reseller - not a manufacturer. So when I find a good supplier I stick with them. They have good pricing too.
Ok, so you have to buy a male-male connector, right?

speaking of ogt has anyone found a cable that would fit the otter box defender series on a iPhone 6

I own a Samsung S7 Edge, so I need Micro USB -> Micro USB, then.
Thanks.

I use to fly with the USB cable and my Samsung Galaxy s7 with the OTG thingy that came with my phone.

20180618_095615.jpg

It seemed to work at the time but haven't used it for a while. If you have one, you might give it shot and see if it works before purchasing an OTG cable.
It is another "link in the chain" and a pain, but it is worth a try.

I will probably purchase the actual OTG cables soon and eliminate the adapter so it's streamlined since the weather will be better soon and hope to fly in new places. The WiFi hookup works fine for me now but who knows down the road.

I have to purchase three for the two different Droids and the mini4 which is the primary flight deck I use.

I own that connector, but I think I'll buy an OTG cable, to avoid have two different pieces (S7 OTG + cable).

I own that connector, but I think I'll buy an OTG cable, to avoid have two different pieces (S7 OTG + cable).

Yes, I agree.

It was cumbersome when I used it which is probably why I don't use it now.j

I've been testing my Spark and using otg and wifi and for what ever reason I can't get the spark to use 2.4 GHz on both WiFi or Otg cable. I'm going into the signal setting's and changing it to custom and picking a channel from 1-11 a d it says reset so I press ok, and the spark does nothing.
I Thought when you use Otg cable it gets rid of the problems of this WiFi 2.4 and 5.8 GHz for us European user.
My spark just stays in 5.8 and when it does go into 2.4 it's laggy as hell totally unusable.
So basically if you use Android in a European countries we are stuck in 5.8 because our mobile don't accept the signal the spark uses.

I'm using Android Samsung galaxy S8 Exonos European version.

Otg or not, doesn't make a big difference to me, especially using iOS devices.

The main problem is the WiFi connection between AC and RC.
And for everyone living outside US, it's really a BIG problem.

The only solution is the forced FCC trick.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef