Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Some info about Spark Batteries

Alex_Tijero

Join
May 30, 2017
•How long take to charge the battery?

When using a standard USB charger, it takes 80 minutes to fully charge a battery.
When using a Charging Hub, it takes 52 minutes to fully charge one battery, 55 minutes when charging two batteries and 85.2 minutes when charging three batteries at the same time..

•It's possible to charge the battery unmounted?

Use the included USB cable to charge Spark. During charging, do not remove the battery from the aircraft

Does that mean you can technically charge 4 batteries at once? 3 in the charger and one in the aircraft. Also the controller too?

Does that mean you can technically charge 4 batteries at once? 3 in the charger and one in the aircraft. Also the controller too?

You could charge 3 batteries on the hub plugged into the wall with the charger and then you can use the USB cable into the aircraft to charge a battery installed on the Spark.

I placed an alerte on spare batteries, I want to have full potential to ride my motorcycle and have the spark ready to shoot any landscape at any time, so 4 batteries is the way to go :D ! And maybe the possibility to charge them on the go !

Reactions: Advexure
I'm keen to know.. Technically you should be able to ram 12v on the plates and the battery smarts should be able to take care of itself.

It was suggested that the exposed area is for use with an as yet unreleased wireless charging solution.

I'd doubt that those points are actually wired battery terminals as it wouldn't make sense to have live contacts exposed.

Also if you do ever want to use a non-DJI power source directly with any of their recent batteries you will need to make sure it is current limited, don't just stick a 12V supply on there and hope for the best... :)

Yes. I bought the "fly more" (silly name, includes only one extra battery) combo and two additional batteries. So I charge 3 in the hub and one via USB inside the Spark. The Spark takes much longer to charge than the hub, so once the batteries in the hub are charged it's actually faster at that point to move the last battery into the hub to finish charging.

The power supply for the hub has two USB ports. You can use one to charge the RC and the other for the Spark. Note though that the kit only comes with one USB cable so you'll need to supply the 2nd one.

I've also connected the hub to an inverter in my car and charged that way. Although it's not really a good solution as it requires you to burn a lot of fuel and produce a lot of exhaust just to charge these little batteries... unless you happen to be driving somewhere anyway. Looking for a better in-field charging solution.

It was suggested that the exposed area is for use with an as yet unreleased wireless charging solution.

I'd doubt that those points are actually wired battery terminals as it wouldn't make sense to have live contacts exposed.

Also if you do ever want to use a non-DJI power source directly with any of their recent batteries you will need to make sure it is current limited, don't just stick a 12V supply on there and hope for the best... :)
They are not, at least from voltmeter measure. Looks more like a test port for communication with the battery controller during production.

Well the manual says "external charging contacts":

upload_2017-8-13_10-8-27.png

Maybe they are "deactivated" until a firmware update comes... I know, normally a connection cant be deactivated, but this battery is intelligent ;)

DJI have a docking station coming out soon. Won't need to plug anything in to charge off the drone.... and I believe it will also offer data transfer through those points too. As for charging I have found using a Samsung fast charger with the drone has same charge time as on the dock. Using an inverter in your car I suggest getting a battery box. I have a deep cycle in a National Lunar Battery in a box setup. 110ah. Lasted all day charging off the dock. Must admit tho the power drain on the deep cycle was an eye opener. Don't leave your car off while charging if your running off the main battery. You won't start after 2 cycle charges on 3 batteries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef