Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Stopping the props mid-flight

rich777

Join
Nov 16, 2017
Hi everyone
Has anyone ever thought there must be a faster way of bringing the drone down and has anyone here been brave enough to stop the props mid-flight by pulling the sticks in and down and then just restarting them closer to the ground.
I wonder if when it was falling the props turning the other way would kind of slow the speed down almost like autorotation on a helicopter. But I don't want to be the first to try it ha.

Reactions: turbo_ek
Thanks for letting me know. That's a shame sounds like it would be fun

I actually tried it and can confirm that it doesn't work.

There is a faster way that has been described as a reverse double helix.

I copied these instructions from another post....

Left hand goes down and to the left
Right hand goes up and to the left.
It will look goofy but seriously in sport mode you’ll be close to sustaining 9mph down.

I have tried this and it works but the Spark is flying around in a circle of sorts so make sure you have plenty of airspace to do this and not hit anything.

Reactions: rich777
I actually tried it and can confirm that it doesn't work.

There is a faster way that has been described as a reverse double helix.

I copied these instructions from another post....

Left hand goes down and to the left
Right hand goes up and to the left.
It will look goofy but seriously in sport mode you’ll be close to sustaining 9mph down.

I have tried this and it works but the Spark is flying around in a circle of sorts so make sure you have plenty of airspace to do this and not hit anything.
Thanks for the advice I will try that next time I get a bit of height.

Spark are not designed for fast vertical landing. I usually do a moving forward with decreasing altitude when landing my spark.

even if it did work the spark would most likely start to go end over end or drop like a rock or come down on the back end because of the battery having the most weight . at 400' how long do you think it would be before it hit the ground ?

Not very long
Hi everyone
Has anyone ever thought there must be a faster way of bringing the drone down and has anyone here been brave enough to stop the props mid-flight by pulling the sticks in and down and then just restarting them closer to the ground.
I wonder if when it was falling the props turning the other way would kind of slow the speed down almost like autorotation on a helicopter. But I don't want to be the first to try it ha.
You first! LOL.

at 400' how long do you think it would be before it hit the ground ?

Did some number crunching thanks to Google...

The Spark (.3 kg) will impact the ground at 176 kph or 109 mph from a height of 122 meters (400') and take 4.99 seconds of butt puckering terror to the time of impact.

Last edited:
Spark are not designed for fast vertical landing. I usually do a moving forward with decreasing altitude when landing my spark.

I find this works best also. My final approach is airplane style often.

The Spark (.3 kg) will impact the ground at 176 kph or 109 mph from a height of 122 meters (400') and take 4.99 seconds of butt puckering terror to the time of impact.
I had an older cheaper drone that let you cut the motors off at anytime. At about 200ft if I stopped the motors, they would free spin and the spinning created enough drag and lift to let the thing land fairly soft. Enough so that I've done it numerous times without it breaking. The spark is a lot heavier and smaller, I would never think of trying it if I could, but I wonder if it would the same thing?

I had an older cheaper drone that let you cut the motors off at anytime. At about 200ft if I stopped the motors, they would free spin and the spinning created enough drag and lift to let the thing land fairly soft. Enough so that I've done it numerous times without it breaking. The spark is a lot heavier and smaller, I would never think of trying it if I could, but I wonder if it would the same thing?

I doubt it, the thing would drop like a rock. Gladly the command has been removed from the aircraft.

The spark shuts its motors down when it is beyond its maximum flight degree angle. Flip the spark 90 degrees on anyside and the motors shutdown.

I I'll put the power on at 1.6 seconds before impact just to flare it out. should leave me 4 inches off the ground[emoji23]

Reactions: Spark 317
Same

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme