Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why do you update your firmware?

Chaz2b

Join
Jan 1, 2019
I’ve always considered updating any software with great caution. Having had computers since the Amiga500 there has always been stories of difficulties after flashing firmware. Since I’m not a programmer, I’ve tried to steer away from doing updates unless absolutely necessary!
The first question to updating is why? If it’s not broken, what are you trying to fix? Of course there is real reasons for updates but with a drone, what was wrong with the initial software that requires updating?
my drone flies as it should and I have no qualms with it, so, should I apply any updates to it? I see quite a few strange results from other fliers after they’ve updated the firmware, that makes me hesitant . Have you updated yours? And what, if any, changes have you noticed as a result. Are there any changes? Is it simply debugging and resetting to a more stable and secure software?
I’m interested into knowing what others have done and found as a result.

chaz

Reactions: jay1028
Since I’m not a programmer, I’ve tried to steer away from doing updates unless absolutely necessary!
Well, I am a programmer and I can tell you programming is probably closer to brain surgery than installing firmware updates on a DJI drone. It's a super easy process and usually works as expected for most people.

Well, I am a programmer and I can tell you programming is probably closer to brain surgery than installing firmware updates on a DJI drone. It's a super easy process and usually works as expected for most people.
Is there a way to do all the updates and not update the NFZ areas?

I’ve always considered updating any software with great caution. Having had computers since the Amiga500 there has always been stories of difficulties after flashing firmware. Since I’m not a programmer, I’ve tried to steer away from doing updates unless absolutely necessary!
The first question to updating is why? If it’s not broken, what are you trying to fix? Of course there is real reasons for updates but with a drone, what was wrong with the initial software that requires updating?
my drone flies as it should and I have no qualms with it, so, should I apply any updates to it? I see quite a few strange results from other fliers after they’ve updated the firmware, that makes me hesitant . Have you updated yours? And what, if any, changes have you noticed as a result. Are there any changes? Is it simply debugging and resetting to a more stable and secure software?
I’m interested into knowing what others have done and found as a result.

chaz
I had an Amiga 1000, 500, 2000 tower, and finally the 4000 video toaster. I still have the video toaster and occasionally use it for lightwave. Amazing what you can do with 6 megs of ram.

Reactions: Chicken Hawk
About my Spark , i don't see a reason why to not update the firmware.
As I have a mavic pro too, i had to downgrade the firmware to get FCC power. This "old" firmware works splendid with the latest djigo4. And what is even more, on the mavic forum there was a complain that dji removed the follow option. I still have it..
Dji didn't removed it from their app but from their firmware.

Why wont they tell us what the updates do? I am not blindly updating something that is working properly. A lot of go4 updates are for new drones and just stick us with a lot of overhead we dont need or use.

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
Why wont they tell us what the updates do? I am not blindly updating something that is working properly. A lot of go4 updates are for new drones and just stick us with a lot of overhead we dont need or use.

I purchased my Spark back in October 2018 and the only time I had to update firmware was during the initial set-up step. There has been no firmware updates since then. The frequent update prompts you see are "Flysafe database update" which are nothing but geo-fencing updates related to NFZs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme