Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Will a Powerbank Work on the DJI Spark?

Shawn Ide

Join
May 31, 2017
Hey guys...

Have any of you been able to fly with a powerbank? I tried it out yesterday, and couldn't get it to work.

I ended up taking some cool tilt/shift video.

A power bank small enough to fit on top of the Spark wouldnt be able to supply power fast enough. For that matter a large power bank still charges at a rate much slower then would be needed to fly.

The Spark fly with a power consumption of 60W for about 12 minutes.
Charging through USB port (in theory as in practice it is not possible to fly and charge at same time) is max 5V x 2 A = 10 W with an estimated efficiency of 90%, it is 9W that can be provided.
So the extra pack can give only 9/60 0.15 or 15% of the energy consumed. So in best case, it would extend the fly time by 0.15 x 12 = 1.8 minutes for a total of ~14 minutes.

This, if the battery had no weight. With the added weight, it is even possible that it would finally reduce the flight time.
I don't even think to the weight unbalance it would create and I doubt the Spark would take off.
So it is a dead idea from the beginning.

Reactions: visualsmith
Plus the go4 app will not allow the spark to take off with a USB cable attached.

It would be nice though to connect a pack while transferring files or changing the settings and avoid drawing power from the battery.

Reactions: Tim32581

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme