Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark Battery Bricked During Firmware Update Two Middle LEDs On

Caiokv

Join
Jul 28, 2017
Loc
Brazil
Hello all,

My DJI Spark battery just became paper weight!

Here is what happened:

I was updating my DJI Spark, with my phone connected to the controller via WiFi and the controller connected to Spark. At 98% of the update the aircraft would not turn on, and the battery was stuck with the two middle LEDs on. After about 30 min like this, I swapped batteries and the updated finished without further issues. Problem is I was left with a battery that would not respond (two middle LEDs stuck).

Then I conncted the aircraft to DJI Assistant 2 with the second battery (the one that finished the update successfully), and everything was ok. I proceeded to update my third battery through DJI Assistant 2, and did so without problems.

Now I had to check on battery #1, the one that got stuck. I tried to update the first battery (the one that had the two middle LED on), and had no success, because it would not turn on the aircraft, so conexion to DJI Assistant 2 was not possible.

I then tried to charge the battery on the drone, without success. I also tried to use the Spark's Battery Charging Hub, but as soon as I connected the battery it would slowly blink in greena couple times, and turn red.

I did see some people having this issue with Mavic and Phantom batteries, but theirs would turn on the aircraft, allowing them to connect to DJI Assistant 2, and fix the issue.

DJI support just told me to send the battery it back to them.

Any ideas? Has it happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Caio

Last edited:
Hello all,

Here is what happened:

I was updating my DJI Spark, with my phone connected to the controller via WiFi and the controller connected to Spark. At 98% of the update the aircraft would not turn on, and the battery was stuck with the two middle LEDs on. After about 30 min like this, I swapped batteries and the updated finished without further issues. Problem is I was left with a battery that would not respond (two middle LEDs stuck).

Then I conncted the aircraft to DJI Assistant 2 with the second battery (the one that finished the update successfully), and everything was ok. I proceeded to update my third battery through DJI Assistant 2, and did so without problems.

Now I had to check on battery #1, the one that got stuck. I tried to update the first battery (the one that had the two middle LED on), and had no success, because it would not turn on the aircraft, so conexion to DJI Assistant 2 was not possible.

I then tried to charge the battery on the drone, without success. I also tried to use the Spark's Battery Charging Hub, but as soon as I connected the battery it would slowly blink in greena couple times, and turn red.

I did see some people having this issue with Mavic and Phantom batteries, but theirs would turn on the aircraft, allowing them to connect to DJI Assistant 2, and fix the issue.

Thanks,

Caio
Its a bad battery .... on my P4P when I got the combo with 3 batteries 2 of them were bad . One would not charge and one was weird like yours . I sent them back and all is ok . Bad Batteries !!!! It is possible !! Aces High

Reactions: Sparkbart
This happened to me. It took three shutdowns to make it work again - I had to do the firmware update 3 times. On the final time, I just left it alone for a long time - way longer than expected, and it suddenly started back up by itself and completed the update.

Hope this works for you.

This happened to me. It took three shutdowns to make it work again - I had to do the firmware update 3 times. On the final time, I just left it alone for a long time - way longer than expected, and it suddenly started back up by itself and completed the update.

Hope this works for you.

How did you manage to shut it down? I cant get my battery to to anything other than keep the lights on. And since I can't connect to the drone when this battery is on it, I don't really know what to do other then send it back to DJI.

Maybe I could try to use the battery charger to connect it to DJI Assistant 2, since I believe there is a micro USB port on it! I will try and post an update.

MIne did the same and was stuck with the two middle LEDs for about 5 minutes. then it rebooted and works fine now

I don't think its useful to make "wild" speculations like this, it just muddies the waters. He was in the middle of upgrading the firmware and not flying. To some how correlate the two events is really a stretch...

This makes me wonder if you would have had an issue with this battery and possibly a mid-air shutdown. Yikes!!

Reactions: Goose
Sorry guys, I'm a noob. So the battery needs to be updated as well? I have 3 batteries. Only updated the aircraft but not the batteries. How do u do that? If the firmware updates the battery by default, does that mean I hv to do the same to the rest of my extra batteries? Btw, I've been switching batteries between flights after the update, all were normal. No warning or any notification on the app.

Yes you have to update each battery...

I use the DJI Assistant... After the update is completed for your Spark, Remote, and first battery, power off the Spark and change the battery out. Power up the Spark, and reconnect to the DJI Assistant if it doesn't automatically do so. You should get a warning pop-up regarding "Firmware incompatibility". When you acknowledge the pop-up, the battery update will start. It should go fairly quick. Do the same process as I describe for each additional battery...

Sorry guys, I'm a noob. So the battery needs to be updated as well? I have 3 batteries. Only updated the aircraft but not the batteries. How do u do that? If the firmware updates the battery by default, does that mean I hv to do the same to the rest of my extra batteries? Btw, I've been switching batteries between flights after the update, all were normal. No warning or any notification on the app.

I don't think its useful to make "wild" speculations like this, it just muddies the waters. He was in the middle of upgrading the firmware and not flying. To some how correlate the two events is really a stretch...
And you publicly berating me for wondering out loud is as irritating to me as mine must have been to you. My "speculation" would not cause any harm. Nobody retired their AC in dispair after reading my post. Please relax and play nice or you will drive people away from the forum.

Reactions: Brewer
Hello all,

Here is what happened:

Thanks,

Caio

This happened to me tonight. I am pissed.

Same here bricked two batteries, anybody here had a work around on how to fix it? I already contacted DJI and they want me to send it back to them to be replaced but it will take sometime and I have a vacation coming up in two weeks

How did you manage to shut it down? I cant get my battery to to anything other than keep the lights on. And since I can't connect to the drone when this battery is on it, I don't really know what to do other then send it back to DJI.

Maybe I could try to use the battery charger to connect it to DJI Assistant 2, since I believe there is a micro USB port on it! I will try and post an update.

I had to keep swapping batteries. Went through all 4 of them until finally it completed the update on all of them.

I finally got mine back to normal. Just let it wait until it finishes updating.

Reactions: actionjack

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex