Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Legit JUST bought Spark (9 Hours Flight Time)... my thoughts on Mavic Air

infamousevans

Join
Jan 15, 2018
I'm fairly new to the hands on drone game, but I did a lot of research and educated myself before I pulled the trigger on the Spark. The reason I chose the Spark (over Mavic) was exactly that, to educate myself on the hobby and get a lot of flight time understanding DJI. Seeing the price tag on the high end Mavic's/Phantom's I would be crazy to invest that much money as an introduction to the hobby. Basically I'd be like some 16 year old kid just grabbing his drivers license and buying a Ferrari

My opinion on the Mavic Air is.... why? DJI has identified it as their gap between the Spark and Mavic/Phantom. With a price tag of $1000 for the FMB, I can't see the point in investing that much money for a minimal upgrade. 5 minutes more flight time, 4k camera and some more sensors that the Spark lacks. It looks cool, and is probably cool... but I can't grasp the mid-tier thing?

My absorption of this hobby thus far is that your either "ALL IN" / "GO BIG OR GO HOME" or a beginner/strictly part time hobbyist. My goal eventually is to invest in the hobby fully with a Phantom or something equivalent pending my confidence flying the Spark. Am I alone with this thought process?

The reason for the midrange is mostly to just expand technology to it's fullest potential and continually progress.
Someone said, "Hey, why don't we take everything good about the Spark and Mavic and combine em as best we can?"
And they did just that, DJI might be at the top of the drone world, doesn't mean they shouldn't keep going though.

And for go big or go home, that is the majority publicly shown in every sport, hobby, and job out there, but there still are those who stay in the shadows and think like you do :) We just don't come out into the public eye too much cause... why? ;) Personally I fly drones for myself and do plan to invest in larger drones when I have the money to :)
You're not alone!

Just spend over 700 gbp in spark fly more combo and extras i might as well sell my spark and get a mavic pro from ebay for 700 gbp instead of fapping bout with the mavic air

Reactions: infamousevans
If I was purchasing a compact drone right now, and I was choosing between the Spark or the Air, if I have the extra cash, it would be the Air all day long. I feel the price is at least $100 too high, but you know the when the Mavic Pro 2 comes out it will be more than it's current cost also so I can see the angle they have when pricing it. DJI started a thing with offering a new drone every 8 months... that thing is it devalues newer drones quickly. And for that premium price, I would have expected Occusync. That said, the connection issues with my Spark and the 2 axis gimbal are what pushed me to place an order for a new Mavic Air. At least the flymore gives you three batteries (no car charger though :() but that $1K price tag is tough to swallow. :eek:

I own 2, soon to be 3 drones. My first was the Phantom 3 Advanced. I picked up the Spark in the Fall.

My Phantom has longer battery life, is faster and has a better camera. It lacks the forward sensors that the spark has, but that really hasn't been a major factor for me. That said, since I got the Spark, I mostly fly the Spark. Why? The size. It's small enough that I am far more likely to grab it on the way out than I am my Phantom.

This is the reason I ordered the Mavic Air. I have been considering the Mavic Pro for a few months now, but haven't wanted to spend the money. The Mavic Pro Fly More Combo has been running $1200 ish. Lucky for me, a friend has agreed to buy my Spark for a fair price, and I am picking up the Air as a replacement. I will have most of the benefits of the Mavic Pro, plus several improvements and all the benefits of the Spark.

If you have only owned a Spark, which is a fantastic little drone IMHO, You can't imagine how much easier it is to deal with. More often than not, I look at my Phantom's case on the way out and think.... Nah, I don't want to deal with that. On the other hand, I think nothing of just grabbing the spark when heading out.

IMO, Bubbles!!! is correct. DJI is doing a good job of listening to people and bringing that product to market.

I don't consider the Mavic Air "an upgrade" to the Spark or a down-grade from the Mavic Pro. I consider it another Drone option. The Spark still fits my need to have a very compact, inexpensive AP drone that I can take with me anywhere with no thought or planning.

I don't consider any of DJI's currently line-up of drones an "upgrade" from any of the drones in the line up. Meaning I don't consider the Inspire 2 an upgrade of the P4P, or that the P4P is an upgrade from the MP/MA. They are different drones that share some similar features but have different purposes...

I'm fairly new to the hands on drone game, but I did a lot of research and educated myself before I pulled the trigger on the Spark. The reason I chose the Spark (over Mavic) was exactly that, to educate myself on the hobby and get a lot of flight time understanding DJI. Seeing the price tag on the high end Mavic's/Phantom's I would be crazy to invest that much money as an introduction to the hobby. Basically I'd be like some 16 year old kid just grabbing his drivers license and buying a Ferrari

My opinion on the Mavic Air is.... why? DJI has identified it as their gap between the Spark and Mavic/Phantom. With a price tag of $1000 for the FMB, I can't see the point in investing that much money for a minimal upgrade. 5 minutes more flight time, 4k camera and some more sensors that the Spark lacks. It looks cool, and is probably cool... but I can't grasp the mid-tier thing?

My absorption of this hobby thus far is that your either "ALL IN" / "GO BIG OR GO HOME" or a beginner/strictly part time hobbyist. My goal eventually is to invest in the hobby fully with a Phantom or something equivalent pending my confidence flying the Spark. Am I alone with this thought process?

What do you think for a first time buyer with no flying experience would be the best drone to buy the spark or the Air, I am trying to decide which to order both have there pros and cons.

Buy the spark. It really quenches that thought of wanting one for a minimal price. Take your lumps with the spark, then pick up an air when you are growing out of spark. Should be a price drop on air by then.

Reactions: Yowza
What do you think for a first time buyer with no flying experience would be the best drone to buy the spark or the Air, I am trying to decide which to order both have there pros and cons.
It really depends on your budget. The Air has the latest & greatest so if you have the extra flow, get the Air for sure (3 axis gimbal, 4K recording, enhanced WiFi, rear sensors, APAS, is more "feature rich"). If your budget is not so high, the Spark is a decent option and easier on the bank account. Not as many features, but a robust machine.

Many of us will have the new Air delivered on Wednesday (mine should be in my hands before noon), so I am sure you will see a lot of Spark vs. Air comparisons in the near future. That will give you some more info on them side by side.

It really depends on your budget. The Air has the latest & greatest so if you have the extra flow, get the Air for sure (3 axis gimbal, 4K recording, enhanced WiFi, rear sensors, APAS, is more "feature rich"). If your budget is not so high, the Spark is a decent option and easier on the bank account. Not as many features, but a robust machine.

Many of us will have the new Air delivered on Wednesday (mine should be in my hands before noon), so I am sure you will see a lot of Spark vs. Air comparisons in the near future. That will give you some more info on them side by side.

Hi after a lot of deliberating, and I have gone back and forth on this a lot, I decided to buy the Spark, with three battery's and lots of free accessories, money is not the issue, I just had to weigh up how much I will actually use it, and I wanted something that I could launch from my palm quickly if needed.

Video at 1080P will be fine as my TV does a fantastic job of up scaling everything to 4K, once I have got some flying time under my belt, well who knows what will be available then, hopefully it should arrive tomorrow, which will give me just over a week to play with it, before I go on holiday.

Congratulations, you really can't make a bad choice between them. Welcome to your new addiction. :D
What color did you go for?

Congratulations, you really can't make a bad choice between them. Welcome to your new addiction. :D
What color did you go for?
I ended up choosing yellow, but in my freebies there are six different color skins, which is good

IMO, when budget isn't a huge driving factor, meaning the P4P, MA, MP, and Spark are all within one's budget, decision making is made easier and one can actually focus on what one needs/wants out of a drone instead of buying basic on what one can afford or budget...

I've got several drones including an Inspire. And honestly, the Spark gets the most use of all my drones. When I travel via airplane, its the Spark I grab cause it does what I need takes up the least amount of space when you add in typical accessories I need to bring. Its small size also makes it less "obtrusive" to the public. They see it more as a toy...

Hi after a lot of deliberating, and I have gone back and forth on this a lot, I decided to buy the Spark, with three battery's and lots of free accessories, money is not the issue, I just had to weigh up how much I will actually use it, and I wanted something that I could launch from my palm quickly if needed.

Video at 1080P will be fine as my TV does a fantastic job of up scaling everything to 4K, once I have got some flying time under my belt, well who knows what will be available then, hopefully it should arrive tomorrow, which will give me just over a week to play with it, before I go on holiday.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
Agree, due to it's size and portability the spark is the most used drone of mine as well. I also have a Mavic Pro, I think the fact it's also the least expensive to replace also is a huge factor in the amount of use it gets. 1080p is plunty for most of my needs and much easier to edit on the phone for quick Instagram and Facebook posts.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
The Spark is definitely a good buy, and has enough features to satisfy the beginner for quite a while.

I started with the P3A as well. When I go specifically to "fly" I bring both, and the P3A gets it's fair share
of air time. That being said, the Spark goes with me on motorcycle rides, and vacation trips and does
it's job exceptionally well. Great pictures, portability, and with 4 batteries, plenty of air time.

No matter when you 'buy in', something better will come along and make your UAV 'obsolete'.
Getting the Spark minimizes the initial investment, and stays useful even when you decide to upgrade.

We'll eventually see a smaller (than the Spark) more capable drone. When it gets here, I'll contemplate one,
but bigger birds are out of question for me... I've got a biggun'... my P3A.

I still think the Spark might see a second generation. If they get the Spark folding up... Pocket drone!

IMO, the Spark is not just a “beginner’ drone. It’s a good drone period. I’ve been flying drones for many years and have several DJI drones including the MA. The Spark definitely has its place and will still be my “go to” drone when I need something very small and portable including all its accessories.

I don’t consider buying something else in the DJI line “upgrading” from the Spark either, its simply buying something else that better fits one’s needs. I bought the Spark after owning a Inspire, Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro. It wasn’t an upgrade or a down grade. It was buying a drone that fit a need i had.

The Spark is under-rated...

The Spark is definitely a good buy, and has enough features to satisfy the beginner for quite a while.

I started with the P3A as well. When I go specifically to "fly" I bring both, and the P3A gets it's fair share
of air time. That being said, the Spark goes with me on motorcycle rides, and vacation trips and does
it's job exceptionally well. Great pictures, portability, and with 4 batteries, plenty of air time.

No matter when you 'buy in', something better will come along and make your UAV 'obsolete'.
Getting the Spark minimizes the initial investment, and stays useful even when you decide to upgrade.

We'll eventually see a smaller (than the Spark) more capable drone. When it gets here, I'll contemplate one,
but bigger birds are out of question for me... I've got a biggun'... my P3A.

I still think the Spark might see a second generation. If they get the Spark folding up... Pocket drone!

IMO, the Spark is not just a “beginner’ drone. It’s a good drone period. I’ve been flying drones for many years and have several DJI drones including the MA. The Spark definitely has its place and will still be my “go to” drone when I need something very small and portable including all its accessories.

I don’t consider buying something else in the DJI line “upgrading” from the Spark either, its simply buying something else that better fits one’s needs. I bought the Spark after owning a Inspire, Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro. It wasn’t an upgrade or a down grade. It was buying a drone that fit a need i had.

The Spark is under-rated...

I never called it a beginner drone, I said it had enough features to satisfy a beginner.

The Spark being 'under rated' is subjective. Most of the low ratings are apples to oranges type comparisons, basically because there's nothing comparable to it, that's 'in its league'. Everything
I've seen that IS comparable gets blown away by the Spark.

Other DJI drones can be considered upgrading... People that start with the Spark, then buy another DJI drone with better optics, gimbal and range could look at it as just that, it's perspective...

...I didn't downgrade when I got the Spark, I got a smaller easier to carry aerial photography UAV.
Which was what I was looking for. Again, perspective. :)

Long story short: The Spark was a great choice and I have no regrets.

When I 1st started looking, I was sure I’d want the Mavic Pro. I was going to wait and see if the FMB hit the $899 price again at B&H, but I wanted to make sure owning a quality drone would be as much fun as I thought it would be before investing that kind of money.

My biggest hang ups were the lack of 4K and 3-axis gimble on the Spark, but I decided those things alone weren’t worth the extra money. I found a great deal on a used Spark FMB on eBay that included a 3rd battery, car charger, and 2 sets of filters for less than MicroCenter’s $499 Spark FMB. I need to get away from my house to really fly it, but I have no regrets so far. Great stepping stone to move on later.

This is the most enjoyable thread I’ve read on the Spark vs Mavic debate. All are great drones and I think DJI is doing a good job offering a lineup with ever increasing features at various price points.

Sometimes thinks don’t seem to make sense when you try to compare older models (MPs) at discounted prices compared to the price of new drones (MA). The current MA at $799 fills the “gap” between the new to come Spark $399-$499 and the new to come MP likely $1199-$1299. It is a toss up when you compare the MA to the current discounted MP but that drone won’t be around long.

I still believe the Spark is the best drone DJI makes, not based in having the best features or flight time but by being the drone that will satisfy the majority of drone buyers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex