Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!
It'll fit if it's not in a case. You can fit a mobile device up to the size of an iPad Mini.

Thanks for your reply. I will try those configuration settings in Android.

I am a little confused. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it fits easily in landscape mode within the controller.

The two Apple options I am looking at are and iPhone 6+ or an iPad Mini 3.

I found the following comparison specs. Beneath each device is the device size.

upload_2018-3-2_16-8-26.png

If I use a ruler to measure my Spark RC with the device arms fully extended, I would guess I could fit a 177 mm (7 inch) device between the controller arms. I would want the device to be in landscape mode. If I look at the specs, the width of the Samsung in landscape is 142 mm, the width of the iPhone 6+ is 158 mm, but the width of the iPad mini 3 is 200 mm.

According to my measurement the iPad mini 3 would be too wide in landscape mode.

You mention above that the iPad mini 3 will fit in the controller. Is this in landscape mode? Do you use an iPad 3 mini with the controller? Have you modified the controller? Are my measurements just wrong?

Thanks,
Barry.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-2_16-7-39.png
    upload_2018-3-2_16-7-39.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 34
I usually fly my Spark with an iPhone 7. Here's a video showing how the iPad Mini fits into the Spark remote controller:

Reactions: Rafa7 and canalrun
Does the iPhone 6+ fit between the arms of the Spark controller?

Yes, without a case, it fits fine.

Is the standard newest version DJI Go 4 app with OTG cable supported with the iPhone 6+? Do you get all the telemetry data, etc.?

The "official" DJI answer is no, OTG is not supported for the Spark no matter what OS you are using. However, with that said, OTG works great with the iPhone 6+. No issues at all, all telemetry data.

With my Android Samsung Galaxy S5 over Wi-Fi video is choppy and sometimes cuts out – but I have only used the Spark indoors so far. It's too cold outside.

I used to use my Android LG G5 and had choppy video sometimes and the app would crash almost every flight. With the iPhone 6+, smooth video and no app crashes at all even using wifi without OTG.

What OTG cable to use? I have seen some OTG's on Amazon that have Micro USB to Lightning, but these have right angle connectors and I'm not sure they would fit properly.

I use one with the right-angle connectors and it works great. I actually prefer the right-angle connector one that is very short. I prefer the "all-in-one" cable over the adapters that msinger showed, no sense in having two cables. Here are some links:

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Threek...ons&keywords=dji+spark+otg+cable+iphone&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/AxPower-iPho...ons&keywords=dji+spark+otg+cable+iphone&psc=1

Good luck!

Reactions: canalrun
I usually fly my Spark with an iPhone 7. Here's a video showing how the iPad Mini fits into the Spark remote controller:

I have to disagree with this. My iPad mini 2 absolutely does not fit into the RC arms - not even close. I have seen the youtube videos and other claims on this.

Apparently there is some variation in RC manufacture with respect to this which has been mentioned in some forums. Today at the flying field I met another guy whose iPad mini 2 fits easily into his RC. So I let him open up the arms in mine all the way and compare it to his. Sure enough there was a significant difference - his would open wider than mine.. In any case I have successfully been using an aftermarket tablet holder, but it is not as convenient.

RC and android WiFi outside US is a poor combination, because outside US android can't see 5Ghz channels 149 and so on, those channels are the used by RC. This makes that RC use 2.4ghz to connect to the phone, and 5ghz to connect to the drone, this make the range of the drone much shorter.

You can bypass those in some way if you use a fake GPS app like Mockation, to change the EU mode to FCC mode of RC. This doesn't change how android connects to RC, but increase the range for 10 times...

If this is ok for you, to get an stable wifi connection, disable automatic wifi frecuency band in android and fix it to 2.4ghz, with this the FPV is almost as good as with OTG.

Also you can root your android and make that it's in US and it will see 5ghz bands of RC without any problems.

If you doesn't know it, the lag and disconnects between android and RC are because the RC try to connect to your android in 5ghz band, because your android tells to the RC that it can... But it can't because of the limits outside US. The ideal WiFi configuration is RC to phone in 5ghz, and RC to drone in 2.4ghz... but outside US you can't achieve this unless you root your phone.

If you doesn't know it, the lag and disconnects between android and RC are because the RC try to connect to your android in 5ghz band, because your android tells to the RC that it can... But it can't because of the limits outside US. The ideal WiFi configuration is RC to phone in 5ghz, and RC to drone in 2.4ghz... but outside US you can't achieve this unless you root your phone.

I'm in the U.S.

So everyone says to back to 4.15 very to get off cable to work, and but what features do I loose reverting to this version from the current DJI Go version?

RC and android WiFi outside US is a poor combination, because outside US android can't see 5Ghz channels 149 and so on, those channels are the used by RC. This makes that RC use 2.4ghz to connect to the phone, and 5ghz to connect to the drone, this make the range of the drone much shorter.

You can bypass those in some way if you use a fake GPS app like Mockation, to change the EU mode to FCC mode of RC. This doesn't change how android connects to RC, but increase the range for 10 times...

If this is ok for you, to get an stable wifi connection, disable automatic wifi frecuency band in android and fix it to 2.4ghz, with this the FPV is almost as good as with OTG.
Hi.

How do I fix it to 2.4ghz please?
Just by selecting one of the channels 1 to 11?

I'm android , using fake GPS setup to get FCC and no otg cable.
Thanks

As far as I know you can't fix it to 2.4ghz, I even can't switch to at all. Using Xiaomi 5s Plus and OTG cable and 4.1.14.

Hi.

How do I fix it to 2.4ghz please?
Just by selecting one of the channels 1 to 11?

I'm android , using fake GPS setup to get FCC and no otg cable.
Thanks
In android, wifi settings, advance, frecuency band -> 2.4 ghz only.

Well the Android phone is always connected to RC via 2.4ghz, and RC to Spark via 5.8ghz. The goal is to tell RC to connect to Spark via 2.4ghz.

Well the Android phone is always connected to RC via 2.4ghz, and RC to Spark via 5.8ghz. The goal is to tell RC to connect to Spark via 2.4ghz.
I agree, but my question is how do I do this?
I just tried selecting frequency channel 2 . Then was instructed to restart, then I saw the frequency band changed to 2.4ghz.
Sorted!
Unfortunately, it doesn't remember this for the next flight, so it's quite inconvenient

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast