Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

brandon hiserote

Join
Feb 20, 2018
Yet another OTG Cable issue...

I own an Android Google Pixel. I have no issues connecting the OTG cable to my phone. Everything is a go...

Except when I take off, my phone in not showing that my Spark is connected to any Satellites. It simply reads N/A. Thus, I am not able to see my altitude, speed and distance.
However, I am able to see my physical GPS location on the map since I am able to receive cellular/network service using the OTG cable.

In comparison. When I am connected to my RC (DJI's preferred way) WiFi. I am able to see how many satellites its connected to, my altitude, distance, speed...ect.

Am I missing some sort of setting?

Attachments

• DJI Screenshot.png
    DJI Screenshot.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
Yet another OTG Cable issue...

I own an Android Google Pixel. I have no issues connecting the OTG cable to my phone. Everything is a go...

Except when I take off, my phone in not showing that my Spark is connected to any Satellites. It simply reads N/A. Thus, I am not able to see my altitude, speed and distance.
However, I am able to see my physical GPS location on the map since I am able to receive cellular/network service using the OTG cable.

In comparison. When I am connected to my RC (DJI's preferred way) WiFi. I am able to see how many satellites its connected to, my altitude, distance, speed...ect.

Am I missing some sort of setting?

If you're using the current/latest DJO GO4 for Android, it seems they still don't support OTG.

What Pe11e said, they removed all the info for android devices so it says N/A on all info. If you have a ipad or iphone it still works however.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
DJI decide to not support OTG cable for Android devices. I dont know why and what is the problem. After this decision my Spark became expensive Gadget. In my country(Poland) is close to impossible to fly via WiFi because of the Lags.
I can connect My Galaxy to the controller and I have video signal on the screen but I dont have any fly data: attitude,distance speed.

as stated use an older version of Dji go 4 app 4.15 or lower
My galaxy note 8 and Note 3 fly like a dream using OTG on 4.15
full telemetry data etc

Reactions: kzeitel
Yep. I reverted to 4.1.15 and all is well with the OTG. I cancel all update notifications for anything regarding the app.

Its a shame we gotta do this.

How is the video response? Any lagging with OTG? I may have to try this with my samsung tablet, which is very laggy on WiFi. If I try OTG now it just flashes the app up and down until I disconnect. Anyone else see this happen? Its a Tab S2 which works really well with the other DJIs I use

How is the video response? Any lagging with OTG?

Before the OTG i would get lag and start losing signal around 800 to 1000 ft distance. Complete loss of signal and disconnection at around 1500 ft.

Today on the first trip with OTG i didn't start gettig lag or signal issues until well over 3900 ft in distance and i got all the way to 4840ft before disconnection and RTH was initiated. There's no way i would come close to that with wifi. No way.

Reverted to 4.1.15, had no luck, same issues with the latest version, seems this Tab s2 is not connecting to Mavik either. Will not connect. Really sucks. Maybe its my OTG. Iphone connects with it though

Hi. Newby here and find this thread very interesting. Just so I understand correctly please could you let me know if these points are correct:
Using phone only= WiFi control to spark which is lowest range.

Using phone plus controller= WiFi control to spark from controller and better range.

Controller communication to phone can be either WiFi or usb otg? cable supplied with the controller?

Mod for FCC range = load app on phone to temporarily trick gps position to USA.

Am I following this all correctly?

Controller communication to phone can be either WiFi or usb otg? cable supplied with the controller?

This is not correct. An OTG cable is not supplied with the spark or controller. You only get a USB cable for charging the spark and transferring files from the SD card. If you decide to try OTG, you must buy the cable. Pretty cheap on Amazon. But remember, OTG is not supported by DJI and if you use Android, you won't get any telemetry such as battery info, height, distance, etc. unless you use the older 4.1.15 version of DJI GO4.

Thanks for the reply. My error about the other cable. Being supplied sorry.
After all the threads I've now read, I'm definitely sticking to wifi communication between TX and phone.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply. My error about the other cable. Being supplied sorry.
After all the threads I've now read, I'm definitely sticking to wifi communication between TX and phone.
Cheers

I wouldn't make that call just yet. If you have an iOS device, the OTG cable works fantastic! I use it now exclusively and have never had a problem with my iPhone 6 plus. It makes my startup much quicker (just connect cable and go) as wells as smooth video to phone and no disconnections.

Good luck!

I wouldn't make that call just yet. If you have an iOS device, the OTG cable works fantastic! I use it now exclusively and have never had a problem with my iPhone 6 plus. It makes my startup much quicker (just connect cable and go) as wells as smooth video to phone and no disconnections.

Good luck!

I second this comment, on my iPad mini 2 the OTG cable works like a champ, no issues!

Reactions: Hddeuce03

Hello,
I am an Android guy. I am looking at a dedicated Apple phone for the Spark – an iPhone 6+ looks to be my most likely choice.

I have next to zero experience with Apple. Can I ask a few simple questions since I noticed you mentioned iPhone 6+ and an OTG cable?

Does the iPhone 6+ fit between the arms of the Spark controller?

Is the standard newest version DJI Go 4 app with OTG cable supported with the iPhone 6+? Do you get all the telemetry data, etc.?

With my Android Samsung Galaxy S5 over Wi-Fi video is choppy and sometimes cuts out – but I have only used the Spark indoors so far. It's too cold outside.

What OTG cable to use? I have seen some OTG's on Amazon that have Micro USB to Lightning, but these have right angle connectors and I'm not sure they would fit properly.

Thanks,
Barry.

I have an iOS device, an iPad mini 2, but I am in Europe and would like to trick the software to think I'm in the USA to get the extra range.
I prefer to trick the software rather than load non dji versions in order to get the FCC range. I believe this is not possible on iOS using the otg cable. Or am I incorrect?

Still waiting for my spark to arrive here ( bought used and should arrive tomorrow....I really hope...or I've been ripped off online as the seller isn't responding ...arghhh)

Does the iPhone 6+ fit between the arms of the Spark controller?
It'll fit if it's not in a case. You can fit a mobile device up to the size of an iPad Mini.

With my Android Samsung Galaxy S5 over Wi-Fi video is choppy and sometimes cuts out – but I have only used the Spark indoors so far. It's too cold outside.
Try setting up your Android device like this.

What OTG cable to use?
Here are a few OTG cables that'll work:

Reactions: canalrun

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme