Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

You want it? You got it! YAW and ATTI mode!!!

i cannot get a connection to the Spark. the left panel should show the Spark as connected.... :(20181218_230133.jpg

I have a feeling that Windows is not letting the unsigned driver function. I will uninstall Dji Asst, and reinstall after forcing Windows to allow unsigned drivers. It's a pia., but it may be the issue. I thought when I plugged the Spark into the computer and heard the Windows "connect" sound, that I'd be OK. But DJI app is NOT recognizing the SPARK.

ok... Success at last. You MUST send your computer into Safe Mode with "Unsigned Driver Enforcement Disabled" mode (f7). The videos never explained that aspect, and as a result my Spark was never recognized. So, I'm going to try Yaw Expo setting from 0.4 to 0.3, and Angular Yaw Velocity from 90 deg/sec to 30 deg/sec. Test flew before and after the mod, and I'm pleased to say that the yaw rate is now much slower, and the stick still has a linear feel. In Sport Mode, she'll still spin like a top :) So, I think I'm going to like this feature. You get "Tripod Mode" yaw control, but still have reasonable speed in GPS mode.

ok... Success at last. You MUST send your computer into Safe Mode with "Unsigned Driver Enforcement Disabled" mode (f7). The videos never explained that aspect, and as a result my Spark was never recognized. So, I'm going to try Yaw Expo setting from 0.4 to 0.3, and Angular Yaw Velocity from 90 deg/sec to 30 deg/sec. Test flew before and after the mod, and I'm pleased to say that the yaw rate is now much slower, and the stick still has a linear feel. In Sport Mode, she'll still spin like a top :) So, I think I'm going to like this feature. You get "Tripod Mode" yaw control, but still have reasonable speed in GPS mode.

Good info. Can you post some video with the new YAW setup?

Thanks!

I just installed V1.1.2 without resorting to safe mode - I ran the install script as administrator. I also edited the main.js using my normal editor (PsPad), started as administrator.
I could make the changes in the assistant and successfully connected to the Spark

I found that Win 8 wouldn't allow the drivers till I did the Safe Mode move. I think there is a script that can be run from the Command Prompt that will temporarily disable Driver Signing Enforcement, but this is getting deep into the weeds of Computer Geekdom. I also found that my Kaspersky Antivirus kept stopping the install due to some 'Suspected Malware'. So, I had to disable the Antivirus software to get Dji Assistant to install. All in all, I had a heck of a time getting it up and running.

I run Win 8.1, which has supposedly more sringent Driver Signing "protection" than previous versions. I stayed as far from Win 10 as possible... ha.

If anyone runs into install issues, I committed the entire process, step by step, to a text file, of what worked for me.

There is a You Tube video out there on "Changing Parameters" for the Spark and Mavics. Now that we can get into this locked area, there is more mischief that we can get into... such as raising the top speed of the Spark while in GPS mode. The video shows the various script changes, similar to the debugging script changes we do presently. I'll have to get the exact URL for the video, but you can search it. Worth a look.

Reactions: nilanjan118
There is a You Tube video out there on "Changing Parameters" for the Spark and Mavics. Now that we can get into this locked area, there is more mischief that we can get into... such as raising the top speed of the Spark while in GPS mode. The video shows the various script changes, similar to the debugging script changes we do presently. I'll have to get the exact URL for the video, but you can search it. Worth a look.

What happens if we get into some serious "mischief", say, increase the speed of the drone in P-mode and then crash it?
I think when we claim warranty repair/replacement, DJI would know what we did from the log files and that will automatically make the warranty or DJI Refresh void.
So I guess it won't be wise to fiddle with the parameters too much if you are a rookie pilot still under warranty period.

For now, I am only interested to know what are the best parameter settings for smooth Expo YAW function and this thread has so far given us 2 options.
1. Change default YAW expo value from 0.4 (default) to 0.2
2. Reduce max. angular velocity to 30 and set YAW expo value at 0.3

I just shot some footage today at EXPO .3 and Ang Vel at 30%. Still too much quick snap of the yaw stick. I will reduce EXPO to .2 for my next try. I'll put the footage up when I'm done editing.

part of the problem is latency of the video... I overshoot every time, and swing beyond my target because of latency :( Perhaps the Spark will be best used for well planned automated Waypoint missions. Everything is quite smooth when automated.

What happens if we get into some serious "mischief", say, increase the speed of the drone in P-mode and then crash it?
I think when we claim warranty repair/replacement, DJI would know what we did from the log files and that will automatically make the warranty or DJI Refresh void.
So I guess it won't be wise to fiddle with the parameters too much if you are a rookie pilot still under warranty period.

For now, I am only interested to know what are the best parameter settings for smooth Expo YAW function and this thread has so far given us 2 options.
1. Change default YAW expo value from 0.4 (default) to 0.2
2. Reduce max. angular velocity to 30 and set YAW expo value at 0.3
I agree with the idea of NOT hot-rodding the bird. I'd guess that even our EXPO mod could cause a warranty issue...

Modding parameters do have warranty issues. So if you are worry about the warranty, you should stay within "dji safe limits" dictated by the default firmware and parameters.
I am sure some of the "safe limits" do not correspond to safety at all, but more for product differentiation. So, they limit sparks ability just so you buy mavic air, they limit mavic air so you buy mavic pro, and so on.
If you interested in increasing gps speed, you can look it here:
But beware, that the value are for mavic, use it with cautions.
I am still looking parameters for maintaining gps coordinate detail value in photo exif. This is reduced by firmware update, disabling spark capability for aerial mapping...

Reactions: nilanjan118
I have arrived at what I believe to be the best settings for cinematographic flying. I reduced stock YAW EXPO from 0.4.... down to 1.5. I Reduced ANGULAR YAW VELOCITY from stock value of 90....down to 30. I Reduced PITCH/ROLL EXPO from the stock 0.4.... down to 1.5. I have no twitchiness as was reported by a member who set the YAW expo to rock bottom of 0.1. I like to have side to side translstion (roll axis), and changing that EXPO has made very fine 3 axis control possible. Remember, for those new to EXPO, you still have full deflection control authority, just the early control throw is much finer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh