Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Stiff/thight motor after crash and HOW i solve it.

rolperez

Join
Sep 6, 2017
Hello pilots!

A few days ago, i've chrashed my spark, after that i noticed that 1 motor was thight, when i flew the drone it was not 100% stable, and when i landed it, the stiffed motor was very hot.

So i search for help in google, but no lucky, so i decided to try to repair my drone.

i've noticed that the "shaft" was down , like 1 or 2 mm, just comparing the propellers
20170906173709.jpg 20170906173721.jpg

So i opened the motor base and see the internal damage:
20170906174100.jpg

That's why the motor was thighten!
Look!

20170906174147.jpg

Ok, so, i got the hammer and a few "strokes" later:
20170906191825.jpg

And thats it!

My Spark its working like a charm!

I made this post because sombody can need that help

Keep Flyin!

(Sorry for my bad english!)

Thanks for sharing.

Great post, which prompted me to write my first, having only had my Spark (first drone) for approximately 3 weeks.

I stumbled across your post when I had exactly the same problem, so I did as you did. Just finished and tested in the house actually.

I didn’t use a hammer though, but instead I slid a small hex socket over the shaft and then used a very small vice to drive the shaft further through the motor casing. I can see from your pictures your shaft was misaligned with respect to the inner race of the bearing. Mine was slightly different in that I could see the outer race of the bearing protruding too much through the motor casing, but same result anyway.

Looking forward to testing properly tomorrow in the light of day ...

Many Thanks,

Ic.

Reactions: mano and Mello99
Greetings.

Had the exact same problem. Did as you described an me it works like a charm. When the motor was mouted back it would rotate as well as the others. Tested flying and everything looks fine.

Thanks!

(i do not have any of that blue glue and dont know where to buy any)

The Blue Glue is probably Loctite thread lock.

Screenshot_20180328-034531.jpg

It prevents the screws from vibrating loose and is available at just about any automotive or hardware store.

Don't use the Red Loctite as this is a more permanent solution in keeping the screws tight.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hello pilots!

A few days ago, i've chrashed my spark, after that i noticed that 1 motor was thight, when i flew the drone it was not 100% stable, and when i landed it, the stiffed motor was very hot.

So i search for help in google, but no lucky, so i decided to try to repair my drone.

i've noticed that the "shaft" was down , like 1 or 2 mm, just comparing the propellers
View attachment 1181 View attachment 1182

View attachment 1183

Look!

View attachment 1184

View attachment 1185

And thats it!

Keep Flyin!

What part did you hammer in?

@Spark 317 do you know what part he had to hammer?

Last edited:
Great post, which prompted me to write my first, having only had my Spark (first drone) for approximately 3 weeks.

I stumbled across your post when I had exactly the same problem, so I did as you did. Just finished and tested in the house actually.

I didn’t use a hammer though, but instead I slid a small hex socket over the shaft and then used a very small vice to drive the shaft further through the motor casing. I can see from your pictures your shaft was misaligned with respect to the inner race of the bearing. Mine was slightly different in that I could see the outer race of the bearing protruding too much through the motor casing, but same result anyway.

Looking forward to testing properly tomorrow in the light of day ...

Many Thanks,

Ic.
I think using your vise like a press to drive the propeller shaft up through the stator was a much better idea than a hammer. However, others should take great care because the jaw of the vise is pressing on the motor housing rather than directly on the stator, and over tightening could damage the motor further.

I think using your vise like a press to drive the propeller shaft up through the stator was a much better idea than a hammer. However, others should take great care because the jaw of the vise is pressing on the motor housing rather than directly on the stator, and over tightening could damage the motor further.
Whats wrong with using a hammer?

Hello pilots!

View attachment 1181View attachment 1182

View attachment 1183

Look!

View attachment 1184

View attachment 1185

And thats it!

Keep Flyin!

Thank you for your great detailed post with fantastic close up visuals!!!! I have just checked my Spark and indeed the "stiff" motor has the shaft down like yours. I have only opened the propeller top so far but realized you need to open the bottom.....I'll let you know if successful or not :)))

Yep me too opened up other end of motor and gently banged the pin and noticed it was suddenly looser and when put back together.......it flew like brand new :)))))) Thanks again great help!!!!

Hello pilots!

View attachment 1183

Look!

View attachment 1184

View attachment 1185

And thats it!

Keep Flyin!

(Sorry for my bad english!)[/QUOTE

Thanks for sharing this info, I just crashed my sparks and motor shaft did the exact same thing. I was goggling for information and ran across this post, again thank you so much !

Reactions: Ah2m
Hello pilots!

View attachment 1183

Look!

View attachment 1184

View attachment 1185

And thats it!

Keep Flyin!

Where did you find tools small enough for the application?

Hello,

This is my first post here, Spark is my first drone, I just received it today, and wanted to fly delicately in-doors...
... as one can figure out, I crashed my drone after overall 10 minutes of indoor hanging and fly. The effect was exactly as shown in topic starter post. Only one motor is affected.
I am devastated, feel so, so horrible. Promised myself never ever fly indoors again.

Tomorrow I'm going to get precision set of screwdrivers and I hope that my damage will be also reparable. Will let you know how it went.

P.S.
Just to let you all know, the crash was in curious circumstances. I was flying it from room into a hall where at the end of it is a mirror. Once the Spark saw itself in the mirror (from about 3-4m distance) it got crazy, finally crashing.
Are they warning in user manual about this? Is it obvious knowledge to avoid mirrors?
I posted this to DJI, will see what they tell.

Ok, drone salvaged :)

IMG_20190105_142104.jpg

But I didn't use the hammer. I used a manual press instead.
The motor seems to stop slightly faster then other 3 motors, but this is almost unnoticeable.

I wonder whether it is possible to see current which each motor is working with. That damaged motor because of its obstructions might be working with resistance thus taking more current. Will try to examine that.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, JareBolo.

Glad to hear you got 'er going.

Check this out. Airdata.

I don't have it, but it records the flight logs and manages the status of the aircraft.
I'm not sure if it records data for each motor but it's worth a shot.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

THAAANK YOOUU!

I had my first crash of my Spark and I broke 2 propellers. One of the motors was really stiff and I freaked out thinking I would have to spend a lot of money with DJI to get it fix. It turns out it was exactly what happened to you. I was able to "hammer my way" and it's all good to go!

Thank you!

Reactions: Spark 317
Hello pilots!

View attachment 1183

Look!

View attachment 1184

View attachment 1185

And thats it!

Keep Flyin!

Just out of interest, how did you support the motors so you could hammer them?

Cheers in advance!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme